This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Astrology has become a wildly popular topic lately, as many people are realizing how the planets and their alignments actually have the capability to affect who we are and how we interact. There are many layers and complexities to astrology, that have a tendency to be a little confusing at times. Whether it be the compatibility of one zodiac to another, how each zodiac carries and expresses themselves, or the ins and outs of a birth chart, there are many things to know about the basics of astrology. 

In total, there are 12 astrological signs grouped into the 4 elements: Water, Fire, Earth, and Air. Water signs are made up of Cancer, Pisces (the #1 best sign out of all 12 but we’ll debate that another time), and Scorpio. These signs are soft daydreamers, who are intuned with their emotions and creativity and are very open with their form of self-expression. Fire signs are made up of Leo, Sagittarius, and Aries, who are completely on the other side of the spectrum. Given they are literally called FIRE signs, their personalities are always very strong, bold, and are confident that no one can compare to them. Both earth and air signs can be considered the most balanced out of all of them. Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn) and Air signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius) can clearly see reality for what it is and are typically very logical. 

Now that we understand the basics of each zodiac sign, let’s explore the more in depth details of Astrology. 

The most important thing to realize about zodiacs is that we are not just one singular zodiac sign. We’re all made up of different personality traits deriving from multiple zodiac signs at a time. Crazy right? This is what is called a “Birth/Natal chart,” which is where astrology can become difficult to understand. Essentially, a birth/natal chart is a map of what zodiac each planet was in at the exact moment you were born ( i.e. the date, exact time, and city you were born) 

There are 11 planets in total within a birth chart that contributes to the makeup of our personalities. However, I will only discuss the 4 main planets that have the greatest effect on who we are. 

“Sun Sign” 

In simplest terms, your sun sign is your main sign or the sign you mainly identify with. The term refers to the sign that the Sun was living in at the precise time you were born. This determines the core of your personality and identity. 

“Moon Sign” 

Your moon sign is the pit of your emotions, moods, and feelings. This is a reflection of who you are in the most personal and vulnerable form. Whatever sign is in your moon would explain why you might have cried over your favorite movie the other day, or how angry you felt typing up an essay for class. 

“Rising/Ascendant Sign” 

Your rising sign is basically your personality in social situations. It is the “mask” that you present to others, whether it be in the way you dress or how you come off to others when you first meet. 

“Mercury Sign” 

Mercury determines how you talk, think, learn, and communicate. This is where your logical reasoning shows, and how your mind works in any situation. 

Evidently, there are endless amounts of details within astrology, and this isn’t even ¼ of what plays a part in the entire concept. Hopefully, this gave you enough insight on the basics of how the planets truly can affect us in many different ways. If not, I hope you learned that Pisces is, in fact, the #1 best sign!

Alexandria Ramos is a Sophomore Mass Media Arts Major, with a concentration in Print Journalism, from the sunny city known as Los Angeles, California. You can often find her racking through her closet for the most intricate outfits, or drinking caramel iced coffee in your local Starbucks (or both simultaneously). She is always seen with a smile on her face, exuding her bubbly personality.