This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

From the ratification of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote in 1920 to the 2016 Democratic Presidential elections, women are becoming more and more prominent in American politics and society. Though they got a late start in comparison to men, they are not letting that late start deter them from making an impact and voicing their concerns regarding all things affecting our government, our politics, and our society.

Not only are women becoming more involved in politics, but statistics show that their involvement has actually surpassed that of their male counterparts. According to CNN, in the past 12 consecutive presidential elections, the number of eligible female voters was greater than the number of eligible male voters, including the two elections that won President Barack Obama his seat in the Oval Office. 

The number of female representatives in Congress is also an example of women’s increasing involvement in politics. According to fas.org, in 1921, the year following the ratification of the 19th Amendment, only one woman held a senate seat; this year, that number is at 20.

Of all the accomplishments of women in politics, we pay homage to the courageous women who went above and beyond the vote and Congressional seats to the presidential ballot, one of which actually becoming a Presidential nominee. Let’s not forget about the year 1972; the same year in which not one, but two women, made their way onto the ballot to potentially become the president of the United States.

In 1972, Shirley Chisholm, a woman of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. became the first woman to run for presidential nomination for a major political party (the Democratic Party). Though she did not receive the nomination, she still went on to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her work in Congress and other political organizations. In 2016, we witness a second chance for women as the Democratic Party’s Presidential nominee, Hilary Rodham Clinton, vies for that presidential seat. From FLOTUS to potential POTUS, Clinton is not new to American politics. As a former Secretary of State, New York Senator, and First Lady to the president, Hillary Clinton has a quite a few credentials to lead the country and make presidential history.

Women’s involvement in politics is continually growing and with its growth comes the impact that women are making on society. Not only must women continue to be involved and encourage other women’s involvement, but we must continue to educate ourselves and one another. In this changing government, women are soon to be the driving factor of many major political movements, advancements, and decisions. The voice of the woman in American politics id growing stronger and stronger. Women are becoming the catalysts for political decisions in this ever changing democracy… Or should I say “femocracy”?

Greetings, I am Imara! I'm a senior English major from Campti, Louisiana. I love spoken word poetry, reading, and learning about the American judicial system. I aspire to one day become a criminal defense attorney, activist, and a political commentator on CNN. I am elated to join the Her Campus team!
Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!