This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month!

In this article I would like to acknowledge Infamous Nikki Giovanni who is a most well known African-American poet, her work includes poetry anthologies, poetry recordings, and nonfiction essays, and covers topics ranging from race and social issues to children’s literature. Yolande Cornelia “Nikki” Giovanni, Jr. was born in Knoxville, Tennessee. While at Fisk University Giovanni edited a student literary journal (titled Èlan), reinstated the campus chapter of SNCC (Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee), and published an essay in Negro Digest on gender questions in the Movement. In 1967, she graduated with honors with a B.A. in History.

In 1970, she started showing up on the TV program Soul!, an amusement/assortment/television show which advanced dark craftsmanship and culture and permitted political articulation. Soul! facilitated vital visitors like Muhammad Ali, James Baldwin, Jesse Jackson, Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Gladys Knight, Miriam Makeba, and Stevie Wonder.

Notwithstanding being a “standard” on the show, Giovanni for quite a while helped plan and produce scenes. She distributed different verse compilations, kids’ books, and discharged spoken word collections from 1973-1987. Since 1987, she has shown composing and writing at Virginia Tech, where she is a University Distinguished Professor.

She has gotten many NAACP Image Award and has received twenty privileged doctorates and different honors, including the Rosa Parks and the Langston Hughes Award for Distinguished Contributions to Arts and Letters. The Civil Rights Movement and Black Power developments enlivened her initial verse that was gathered in Black Feeling, Black Talk (1968), which sold more than ten thousand duplicates in its first year, Black Judgment (1968), selling six thousand duplicates in three months, and Re: Creation (1970). Each of the three of these early works helped in setting up Giovanni as another voice for African Americans.

In “After Mecca”: Women Poets and the Black Arts Movement, Cheryl Clarke refers to Giovanni as a lady writer who turned into a noteworthy piece of the Civil Rights and Black Power Movement. Giovanni is generally recommended as a standout amongst the best African-American artists rising up out of the 1960s Black Power and Black Arts Movements.

Her initial verse that was gathered in the late 1960s and mid-1970s are viewed as radical as and more aggressor than her later work. Her sonnets are depicted as being “politically, profoundly, and socially mindful”. She has since composed in excess of two dozen books, including volumes of verse, showed kids’ books, and three accumulations of papers. Her work is said to address all ages and she endeavors to make her work effectively available and comprehended by the two grown-ups and youngsters. Her composing has been vigorously motivated by African-American activists and artists. Issues of race, sex, sexuality, and the African-American family likewise have affected her work.

Giovanni’s verse in the late 1960s and mid-1970s tended to dark womanhood and dark masculinity among different subjects. In a book, she co-composed with James Baldwin entitled A Dialog, the two writers talk obtrusively about the status of the dark male in the family. Baldwin challenges Giovanni’s conclusion on the portrayal of dark ladies as the “providers” in the family unit. Baldwin expresses, “A man isn’t a lady. What’s more, regardless of whether he’s wrong or right…See, in case we’re living in a similar house and you’re my better half or my lady, I must be in charge of that house.”.

Conversely, Giovanni perceives the dark man’s quality, regardless of whether he is “dependable” for the home or monetarily advantaged. The meeting clarifies that paying little mind to who is “capable” for the home, the dark lady and dark man ought to be subject to each other. Such subjects showed up all through her initial verse which concentrated on race and sex elements operating at a profit community. 

I believe that Nikki Giovanni is a powerful person and uses her words to express her thoughts. Something I love about her is how she doesn’t’ just aim for just one audience. Giovanni knew her capabilities at a young age and became successful while she was still in college. I also love how she used her poetry through a rough time in the world to deliver her message through poetry. As I peruse my Bachelors Degree in English, I always look to the past to honor fellow black literary artists like Giovani to inspire my work and to motivate me to always push my limits! Shoutout to all the women in the world, breaking boundaries and making it happen, we rock!

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU