This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

This movie was not made for anyone’s comedic enjoyment, nor is it comical in any way. Get Out, is a horror-thriller about a Black man that goes to visit his White girlfriend’s family for the first time, but little does he know, they are more excited to meet him than he is to meet them. 

Chris Washington, played by Daniel Kaluuya, goes on a trip with his girlfriend, played by Allison Williams, to meet her family for the first time. Everything seems to be fine until Chris starts to notice the odd behavior of the service people. The way they watch him and the things they do make Chris uneasy. On top of that, Chris runs into a friend that has been declared missing and his behavior is off as well. He does not become aware of the family’s intentions until it is too late, and he is put in a situation of life and death. Get Out, is an intriguing horror thriller film about race and we love it. Why? Well, let us talk about it.

Woman Wearing Blue Top Beside Table
Photo by Christina Morillo from Pexels

Everything wraps into each other; the writing, suspense and acting are all amazing and tie into each other beautifully. There are certain lines that the white characters say that shows a hidden agenda, such as the way the father talks about the deer, which is subtly racist. Some people will not pick up on it, but watching it from a Black person’s perspective it is easy to notice everything. The way it was written into the scene was greatly done, because by putting those words onto something that is not human it makes those who refuse to recognize racism, face it without them knowing. It happens throughout the movie in the form of microaggressions, and it becomes more than racism. It starts to give the audience an eerie feeling while foreshadowing. 

That feeling weaves into the suspense. The suspense has the viewers’ hearts pumping from the very beginning. It not only grabs your attention but does not let the audience get a sense of ease. Whenever ease can set in, something little is said or done that reminds the watcher of what has happened. There is a scene when Chris goes to dap up another Black man, and the man grabs his hand instead. This tells everyone something is wrong. Dapping is part of Black culture, so the fact that this other Black man is completely ignorant to this tips off the viewers.

mother and daughter talking
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Even the way scenes are shot adds to the suspense. Every cutscene is necessary and oftentimes it cuts back to an unsettling image. Such as the running scene when the groundskeeper is running full force to Chris. 

The actors add to the suspense with their amazing performances. I give LaKeith Stanfield and Betty Gabriel a round of applause. They were supporting characters and owned their scenes. Stanfield plays Andre King, who gets kidnapped in the very beginning. The state of fear his character is in can be felt when he tries to warn Chris to get out. It is so commanding it makes me feel like I have to go and as if I am the one in danger. 

Gabriel makes the audience anxious the way she repeatedly pops up and gives these death stares. She shows little emotion, so in the “no” scene it becomes unsettling to see her that way. Kaluuya’s performance overall made the entire movie. His acting skills are superb. He sold this oblivious character very well and had me yelling at the screen throughout the film. Especially, when he gets hypnotized. Kaluuya’s facial expressions bring together the whole scene. 

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

Get Out makes the audience think while filling them with anxiety. If you have ever been put in this position you know that it is a bad spot to be in. It puts you off balance, and even though you know you have to pay attention to everything it can make a person oblivious to things sitting in their face. That is why many people, including myself, have watched the film multiple times and picked up new elements each time. The writing and acting are also phenomenal, so if you have not watched it please do.

My name is Destiny Brooks and I am from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I attend Clark Atlanta University, majoring in mass media arts, with a concentration in radio,tv, film and a minor in theatre. My interests lie in the entertainment industry and and all aspects of Black life. In 2019 I wrote a review on the movie Black Panther, which was published in the Stockton Argo, my previous school’s newspaper.