The Black Community and Crisis Aid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

There is a major neglect to urban cities when it regards to crisis aid. For example, in April 2014, Flint, Michigan began to struggle through a water crisis. In August of 2014, E. coli and bacteria was detected in Flint’s water and President Obama declared it a federal state of emergency in the city. The city switched its water supply in 2014, which immediately caused problems. Flint residents complained about water quality, as city and state officials ignored the issue. As the water quality reached more residents and got worse, state officials finally addressed the issue but by that time, majority of the cities residents were affected due to the bad pipes.

After the pipes remained damaged, the United States government has not supplied in help to the city while they suffer. Still in 2017, some areas of the city the water and those affected by its bacteria remain untreated. According to CBS.com, some side effects of drinking Flint’s water include lower IQ scores, developmental delays, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Even after lead exposure stops, the effects can last for years or even be permanent.

Another example of the lack of crisis aid given to metropolis areas, is New Orleans after the Hurricane Katrina. On August 29th, 2005 New Orleans Louisiana suffered from a major hurricane hit. The winds were in the Category 1 range with frequent intense gusts and tidal surge. After the hurricane passed, there were major damages done to the city and homes of those who live in New Orleans.

The government failed to produce assistance to those in need after the hurricane, which left many people homeless and without food, and water in this crisis. Homes were destroyed due to the storm and many were not provided shelters to stay and about 800,000 homes were severely damaged.  Nearly one million people were temporarily without electricity in Louisiana for several weeks. During this natural disasters there were undersupplied shelters that left many New Orleanians without shelter.  Many roadways and streets were flooded and damaged which made it difficult for evacuations to be conducted.

The poor effort, and delayed response of this natural disaster in order to help inhabitants of New Orleans left a monumental mark on the city and caused a difficulty for its citizens. Without a quality aid from the government New Orleans struggles to maintain a clean city.

Even as a “minority,” black people remain one of the biggest groups in the United States. So, why do we not get the help me need and deserve as individuals?

Hello, My name is Carlina Lominy. I am a graduating senior Political Science major at THE Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and enjoy reading and writing! You’ll often find me with my head in my books, and/or doing research.