The Best Sci-Fi Movie(s) Of All Time & Why They’re A Must See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The best Science Fiction movie(s)! Yes, there are so many but the best one, (in my opinion), has to be the Back To The Future. This trilogy stars Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd set in 1985 and travels through the years 1885.1955.1985 and 2015! A movie that is hilarious and yes a classic!

Back To The Future (1985)

In this 1980s sci-fi classic, small-town California teen Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is thrown back into the ’50s when an experiment by his eccentric scientist friend Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) goes awry. Traveling through time in a modified DeLorean car, Marty encounters young versions of his parents (Crispin Glover, Lea Thompson), and must make sure that they fall in love or he’ll cease to exist. Even more dauntingly, Marty has to return to his own time and save the life of Doc Brown.

This 1980’s movie is one that everyone must see! Having so many quotes that are memorable to this movie. This movie is clever because every little thing matters. This sci-fi movie is all about detail and you have to pay attention from the moment the movie comes on.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsgGtivCgs

Back To The Future II (1989)

In this zany sequel, time-traveling duo Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) and Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) return from saving Marty’s future son from disaster, only to discover their own time transformed. In this nightmarish version of Hill Valley, Marty’s father has been murdered and Biff Tannen, Marty’s nemesis, has profited. After uncovering the secret to Biff’s success — a sports almanac from the future — Marty and the Doc embark on a quest to repair the space-time continuum.

This BTTF is one of the most confusing I think because he travels through three different years in one movie. With this movie, you have to pay close attention to the years and focus on what is happening within the characters. One thing these movies did teach me is that no one should know their own destiny and you can never alter the future. This movie also shows what they thought 2015 would be like, with hoverboards, electric laces, advanced ovens and more!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdENmefJRpw

Back To The Future III (1990)

In this final chapter, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) obtains a 70-year-old message from the time-traveling Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd), in which he informs Marty that he has retired to a small town in the Old West. Marty then finds out that the Doc was murdered shortly after sending the letter. In order to save his friend, Marty will have to travel back in time, disentangle a lovestruck Doc from a local schoolmarm, and repair the DeLorean — all while avoiding a posse of gunslingers.

This BTTF is my favorite because it’s a western! It’s really the only western that I have ever watched. This movie does focus on the main character which is Marty but within this movie, the soft side of Doc is shown. I also love that in this BTTF, Doc is a Blacksmith and it shows just exactly how people were living during 1885.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8c3EoEfw4

Back To The Future is one of Steven Spielberg’s best movies.It’s interesting to watch this movie in 2019 because to see what they thought we’d have by 2015. With flying cars, robot waitresses and electric laces. To only find out that majority of the things expected are nowhere near soon to be made.  

Hey! I am Terri Blige a Senior English Major with a Concentration of Creative Writing at Thee Clark Atlanta University. I am from Connecticut. I am proud to say that I am a writer for HerCampusCAU