Behind the Oval Office: An Exculsive Interview with Undergraduate President Gerald Coleman III

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Name: Gerald Coleman III         

Hometown: Decatur, GA

Major Mass: Mass Media Arts

Classification: Senior

Instagram: gerald_willmakeit

What do you like best about being SGA president? Being the voice for the student body.

What are your plans within the next few years? After graduation, I plan to further my education in a graduate program, working towards a Master’s degree in Business Marketing or Foreign Language. Then, of course, later I plan on getting my doctoral degree in Foreign Language or in Psychology. 

What are your long term goals? To eventually become a translator for the government

Wow! A translator for the government? What other languages do you speak besides English? I speak a little Espanol, but I want to learn Portuguese too.

Has your role as Undergraduate President sparked your interest in working with the government agency? No. Actually, my former high school teacher (CAU alum) used to tell me stories of the many possibilties I’d have if I knew multiple languages while working in the government, and as they say, the rest is history. I just want to be GREAT!

What advice do you have for anyone interested in becoming the next Undergraduate President? For anyone interested, you need to know that you cannot satisfy everyone. There are a lot of opportunities when you’re the president of a student body, but it’s important to remain humble because too much power can change a person for the worst.

If you could be a “celebrity” for one day, how would you use your fame? I would honestly use my fame to get money donated to CAU.   

What is your favorite meal? Well I’m a Southern man, so of course my favorite meal is macaroni & cheese, yams, sweet corn, and chicken tenders.

Where do you spend most of your time on campus? On the promenade kickin’ it in front of the student center.

Why did you choose CAU? I chose Clark Atlanta University because of the family environment. I felt comfortable coming here, and the one of the mottos, “I’ll Find A Way or I’ll Make One” correlated with my lifestyle.

How do you balance your school work, social life & your SGA duties? Well school is my main priority, especially since my ultimate goal is to graduate on time. All of my other priorities such as SGA president and my social life come next. I’ve just learned to stay consistent and try not get too overwhelmed with life.

So, how does it feel knowing that graduation is near? Amen! Amen! It feels AMAZING! I know it’s time for me to mature as a man, and I’m ready for the next step in advancing my education. #WATTBA  ( For those of you who haven’t heard Future’s and Drake’s latest collaboration, the hashtag means ” What A Time To Be Alive.”)

Are you in any other organizations on campus? Yes, I’m an Orientation Guide and a member of CAU’s Collegiate 100.

Any piece of adivce you’d like to leave us with? Never take advice is the greatest advice.

TOP 5 …
1. Favorite songs?
“Doing it Wrong” by Drake
“Rise and Shine” by J. Cole
“The Ride” by Drake
“Hey Mama” by Kanye West
“Is She Gon Pop” by J. Cole

2. Sport teams?
The Los Angeles Lakers
The Colts
The Chicago Bulls
The Atlanta Falcons
The Atlanta Braves

3. Friends?
Donte Thrasher
Brittany Miller
Aaron Craig
Aalyiah Heath
April King

4. Places you would like to visit?
Spain
California
Italy
Egypt
Brazil

5. Things you want to accomplish before the year is over?
4.0 grade point average this semester
Perfecting my own macaroni & cheese
Increase school spirit
Confess to Drake that he’s my long lost brother
Make a positive impact on at least one person’s life

Thank you so much to Gerald for taking the time out of his busy schedule to chat with us! Keep doing great things!
My name is Yasmine Washington. I am a Reporter/Writer for Her Campus CAU. I am a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University, Business Management major. I am absolutely in LOVE with puppies and my favorite color is PINK, duhhh.