To Be or Not To Be: The Struggles of Being a Virgin in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

“What?! You’re a virgin?! In College?!” YES! Contrary to popular belief, virgins still exist! In this day and age, it seems like people think your virginity isn’t sacred. Well, to some people, it still is. Now, a usual reaction is, “Wow that’s great, stay that way!” Guess what though? Being a virgin isn’t easy, especially in college. Although it is hard to sometimes resist the temptations of college, being a virgin also has some perks. Below are a few pros and cons of being a virgin in college.

Pro: You’re still pure. There’s a certain boost in your confidence to know that you’re still a virgin. YOU are a rare commodity, a precious treasure. Older people commend you, adults your age are amazed, and guys are intrigued.

Con: Not Every Guy is For it. You may start liking a guy and finally get the courage to tell him that you’re a virgin, and the next day, he stops returning your texts and phone calls. How does it feel? Crappy! Some guys don’t like the responsibility; they feel like it’s too much pressure.

Pro: Certain Level of Respect. The fact that I’m 20 years old and still a virgin amazes many people. I suppose since girls are losing their virginities as young as 13, it’s shocking to find a girl over the age of 16 who is still a virgin. When I first tell someone, they don’t believe me, but after they hear my reasoning, an “I’m so proud of you” look appears on their face.

Con: Raging Hormones. I absolutely HATE when someone thinks just because you’re a virgin, you don’t have urges. Guess what, you’re wrong! Everyone has hormones, and if you’re a virgin, you just can’t act on them. The thoughts are pouring in, and you’re just like, “WHY ME??” The worst is when things are heating up between you and a guy, but you pull back because you’re not 100% ready. You’re just like “I want to, but I can’t.”

Pro: Not Having to Worry About certain STDs. This pretty much speaks for itself. Unless you’re only participating in oral sex, contracting a sexually transmitted disease should be the farthest thing from your mind.

Con: Wondering if You’ll Ever Lose “it”. When you’re this old and still a virgin, you worry if it’s ever going to happen. For me, personally, I worry if I will ever fall in love or if I ever find “the one.” I meet guys and think, “Hmmm, is this it? Is he the one? No? Ok God.” Trust me when I say, PATIENCE is a virtue.

Pro: A self gratifying feeling for yourself. Although temptation is alive and well, being able to say that I’m still a virgin for my own personal reasons makes me feel really great about myself. With all of the temptation, persuading and weak moments that I may have had, I didn’t give in. If no one else is proud, at the end of the day, I’M PROUD! 

*So ladies, remember, there’s temptation everywhere! Don’t give in, unless you know you are truly ready. But, until then, be true to yourself. Don’t let anyone persuade you to do anything you’re not ready to do for yourself. And last, but certainly not least, wait as long as you need to. There’s absolutely no rush, because your virginity is YOURS. It is sacred, and it is a gift that the right man will be lucky to have!

Hello! My name is Sydney Coffee and I am from Tampa, FL. Currently, I am a senior, Mass Media Arts Major at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. When I graduate, I would like to further my education at the University of Southern California. I would one day like to become an anchor for E! News, and also have my own cosmetics line .