Barbie’s New Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all had a few Barbie® dolls or so in our childhood. So now here’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for… Mattel has finally released the 2016 Barbie® Fashionistas™ Dolls with three new body types for Barbie – tall, petite, and curvy – along with 7 skin tones, 22 eye colors, 24 hairstyles, and countless on-trend fashions and accessories. These dolls will be available for sale online at Barbie.com starting January 28th and in stores starting March 1st.

Barbie® states, “Girls everywhere now have infinitely more ways to play out their stories and spark their imaginations through Barbie. Along with more overall diversity, we proudly add three new body types to our line. Here’s a look at why we did this, and the team that made it possible.” Many people have a mixed reaction about the new doll line and have given their very vivid opinions but all in all, this new Barbie® has given many young girls the opportunity to have a real depiction of themselves in an object that they look at and play with each and every day.

These new dolls will not only impact girls’ expectations of body image, but boys as well. They give both boys and girls the opportunity to see realistic depictions of women in today’s society. Girls will now have the opportunity to customize their dolls and have them look more like themselves. Having such a variety of shapes, skin tones, and hairstyles, will definitely give kids the childhood that many of us wish we had. I know I do.

Barbie® will also be launching 3 other doll collections entitled Spy Squad, Game Developer Career of the Year, and President and Vice President that will launch this summer. Barbie® says, “From offering products that feature more empowering and imaginative roles to partnering with best in class role models, we believe in girls and their limitless potential.” These new dolls will definitely give girls the confidence and encouragement to pursue their dreams and aspire for a variety of career paths.

Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!