Back To Life, Back To Reality: Advice you should know for Fall 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In August 2021, [fully-vaccinated] students of all classifications will be permitted access to on-campus instruction and activities. What many Clark Atlanta University students once remembered as an extra week of Spring Break in March 2020, has now resulted in a “happy” ending for some. 

As students prepare for the re-commencing or commencing of distinctive fellowship and experience associated with on-campus life, they must remember what college is all about. More specifically, what life at Clark Atlanta University is all about.

The Fall 2021 semester will consist of a combination of hybrid learning. 

“As soon as you get your schedule, send your professors an email and introduce yourself,” Aretha Bernard said. “Your relationship with them [professors] is vital and will reward you in the end. With all the troubles of the world and personal issues, if you keep them updated, they might help you!”

With much experience in knowing the “ins-and-outs” of CAU, Bernard has given the university’s underclassmen some advice to consider for the Fall 2021 semester.

“Accountability partners are going to save your life at CAU. Because of my involvement on campus, no matter the class, there was always someone I knew. With that, we kept each other on top of our assignments,” Bernard said. “Groupme for every class was also helpful.”

Two students sitting in the grass talking and studying LLC article
Photo by Keira Burton from Pexels

Since accepted at CAU, Bernard has been heavily involved in campus activities and leadership positions including, the Sophomore Class Council’s community service chair, 2018-19 Ms. Breaking The Cycle, Secretary of Cali Club, and Ladies of CAU, and the 31st Ms. Clark Atlanta University.

As the freshman class of 2025 prepares to experience college life to its fullest extent, Bernard, a graduating senior, suggests that they begin this process by buying and searching for clothes, now.

“You need outfits! CAU is a fashion show. People are really dressed with a full face of makeup at their 8am classes. Heels and all. It is not a joke,” she said. “In addition, you should probably get your outfits for Homecoming in August. But on a serious note, expect for everyone to be excellent. If you were the ‘popular’ or stellar person in high school, you’re about to meet a ton of classmates who were also stellar. Everyone has something to offer. Don’t get intimidated.”

Gif from the movie Clueless
Giphy

Homecoming, as well as other university-held events, for the 2020-21 academic year, was cancelled due to COVID-19. However, students can expect some events this upcoming semester. Bernard also suggests freshmen to “go to events. Even if you go alone.” 

For rising sophomores, “talk to your academic advisor to be sure you’re on track for graduating on time,” and for rising juniors to “get an internship and take Senior Seminar early.” 

As Bernard reminisces on her senior year, she describes it as “unexpected,” which is to be expected as [your] senior year is the final year to make the most of [your] studies at the undergraduate level. Post-graduation, Bernard will “be pursuing [her] passion, but it’s a surprise for now! In the meantime, [she] did secure a job with Amazon so [she’ll] be moving.”

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

For seniors that will be returning to campus for the Fall 2021 semester, Bernard suggests that they “secure [their] post grad plans.” 

“I suggest being patient with yourself. You don’t have to have everything figured out right now and don’t compare yourself to other people’s journey,” she adds.

As the Fall 2021 semester approaches, students must be “fully-vaccinated” to be permitted access to campus. 

For more information about the plans for the Fall 2021 semester at Clark Atlanta University, click here.

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.