This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

This past week there has been an intense discussion bubbling on Twitter. Which entertainer is better? Jamie Foxx or Will Smith?  

These incredible actors have contributed so much to the entertainment industry, and to be honest, it’s pretty hard to pick sides. Let us take a look at the astonishing accomplishments of these talented men. Jamie, you’re up first!

Jamie Foxx

Before the fame

Eric Bishop, known as Jamie Foxx, attended United States International University on a piano scholarship while also studying classical piano at the prestigious Julliard. Though he did not graduate, he continued to pursue other forms of entertainment. In 1989 Foxx performed stand-up comedy for the first time at an open mic event in Los Angeles. A year later, Foxx had scored his first television debut as a recurring comedian on the sketch comedy series In Living Color.

Sitcom Success

In 1996 Foxx decided to create his own show, mirroring his own life as an aspiring musician looking to pursue a career in show business. The show ran from 1996 to 2001, lasting a total of five seasons. The Jamie Foxx show has won one NAACP Image Award, three NAACP Image Award nominations and two Kids Choice Awards nominations.

Movie Success

Though Foxx took on many comedic roles early on, like The Truth About Cats and Dogs and Booty Call, he didn’t receive his first dramatic role until 1999 in Any Given Sunday. His role as Willie Beamen was the beginning of many iconic roles, such as Drew ‘Bundini’ Brown in Ali and Ray Charles in Ray. He received many awards, including an Academy Award for Best Actor.

Music Success

Jamie Foxx has released a total of five studio albums during his career. In 2005 he released his second studio album Unpredictable, which is now certified double platinum. He also won Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals for his single Blame It at the 2009 Grammys.

Will Smith

Before the fame, Will Smith attended Overbrook High school in Philadelphia, PA. At a party one night, Smith bumped into Jeff Townes, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and the rest was history. 

Music Success

The hip/hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince went on to create radio-friendly hits like “Summertime,” “Parents Just Don’t Understand,” and many more. In 1989 the group received their first Grammy for “Parents Just Don’t Understand.” Not only was this their first Grammy, but DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince were also the first rap artists ever to receive a Grammy. After the duo’s success, Will Smith ventured out to pursue acting and a solo music career of his own.

Sitcom Success

The first episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was released on September 10, 1990, and ran for six seasons. The sitcom has won many awards, including an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Comedy Series and a Kids Choice Award.

Movie Success

After the success of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Will Smith went on to become a box office superstar. He then partnered with actor/comedian Martin Lawrence for the 1995 film Bad Boys. The movie grossed over 141.4 million worldwide, making this his first box office hit. Will Smith continued to rock theaters across the globe with movies like Men In BlackThe Pursuit of Happyness, and Hancock.

Brittany Robinson is a sophomore majoring in Mass Media Arts at Clark Atlanta University. She was born in Saginaw, Michigan, and has a deep love for writing in many facets. Not only is she a blogger, but she is also a singer/songwriter. She has had the opportunity to perform at many music festivals and has opened up for many musical artists. In her spare time she loves recording music and listening to her favorite 90s R&B artists. You can follow her on Instagram @Taneenofficial.