This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Back for some more ANTM secrets?

If you thought last weeks reveals were shocking then you are in for a real treat! I’m back with a handful of secret’s that will surely blow your mind. 

Mark of Disgrace

It is said that there is a mark of disgrace associated with America’s Next Top Model in the industry. In fact, several models have expressed that this stigma has hurt them more than it has helped them. Yaya DaCosta won cycle three of America’s Next Top Model has become an undeniable success. DaCosta is now a flourishing actor scoring roles on tv shows such as All My Children along with Ugly Betty and Chicago Med. DaCosta has repeatedly shared that ANTM has played a minuscule role in the success she gained after the show. “There was such a stigma in Hollywood, and people don’t realize that,” DaCosta shared with Complex in 2016. She then continues to say, “…the stigma didn’t just have to do with being a model, it was reality TV in general. You didn’t talk about it. It wasn’t on your résumé.” Her producers from Take the Lead and Honeydripper told her after hiring her that they wouldn’t have done so if they had prior knowledge of her ANTM history. Other models that were on the show such as Winnie Harlow (Cycle 21), Tatiana Price (Cycle 23), Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), and Eve (Cycle 3) have voiced that after you win the competition you have to rely on yourself if you truly want to rise to the top.  

Auditions Weren’t Required For All Girls

From the viewer’s perspective, all of the girls had to go through an audition process in which their strengths were tested and their weaknesses could make or break them. However, the producers did not always honor the audition process. If a girl happened to come along that they really wanted for the show nothing stopped the producers from recruiting her and casting her upfront. This makes the show out to be fairly rigged after hearing this information. The goal is for ANTM to look open to anyone, but clearly, the producers have a certain look in mind when they are casting. A lot of viewers have questioned if certain models have been given an advantage over others due to the fact that they were picked rather than chosen through the audition process.

The House Was Not Fierce By The Time These Models Left

The girls of Cycle 10 made a top model mess in their luxury Manhattan loft. The models caused approximately $500,000 in damages. Two residences of the loft were spoken to by TMZ and they firmly established that the place was left in terrible condition and throughout their stay, they had serious issues with their “not-so-model” neighbors. The New York Post later reported that the girls damaged a $15,000 chandelier to the point where it cannot be repaired, they splattered ketchup and coffee all over the walls, the crew punched over a hundred  holes through the ceiling, caused $90,000 in damages to the store underneath the loft, and the Brazilian wood floors were torn up by the end of their stay. TMZ has asked Tyra and her Crew about the damages but they have yet to comment on the situation.

Tyra Claims “It Wasn’t Hard to Pass the Ball to Rita Ora”

We were all shocked to find out that Tyra would no longer be hosting ANTM in 2016 during Cycle 23. If it were up to Tyra she would have been gone a decade before then. Banks expressed to Entertainment Weekly that, “It wasn’t that hard” when it came to her decision to leave the show. She then continues to tell them how stressed she was with starting new businesses. “…I went to [my lawyer] and I was like, you know what, I’m ready to bring someone else in. I won’t say the name of the person, but I actually brought a different person to the network, met with them, and said, ‘This is the person I want to take the reins of this show.’ This was cycle 8.” Since Cycle 8 Tyra has gone back to school, Harvard, to be exact. She was apart of an owner/ president management extension program in which she managed to obtain a certification of completion.

Tyra Doesn’t Have Final Say in Who Wins the Competition

Tyra Banks may be the face of America’s Next Top Model, but the panel is there for a reason. She happens to be the main host of the show but when it comes to picking the contestant who wins the entire competition it becomes a group decision. The girls are judged upon how they present themselves, how they performed that week, and how well they did base on their photoshoot. Based on how they do overall determines whether they get to stay for another week or “go home”. The votes are not always unanimous for who is being eliminated, but the majority rules. Therefore, if Tyra feels like a certain girl should win her choice means nothing if no one else is on board same goes for the rest of the panel.

Not All The Girls Receive the Prizes They Were Promised

Adrianne Curry was the winner of the first cycle of ANTM. After her victory, she posted a vlog calling the show out for not showing support after she won. She titled the blog “Truth About Top Model”. “We were promised a Revlon contract on my season and a contract with Wilhelmina. They did voice-overs on the actual aired show and changed what was being said to us while filming,” according to Curry. “When I met with Revlon, they informed me they never planned on using the winner, whoever she may be, for any ads. They hired me for $15k to model makeup in a room with 10 execs in it to honor the said contract. I was crushed, but still very grateful. $15k is amazing!” Curry continued. She never received the money and Wilhelmina was allegedly got upset after being informed that ANTM offered  IMG Models a contract for Cycle 2. “Wilhelmina claimed they were promised they’d be used again and again,” Curry explained. “Wilhelmina then informed me they didn’t want me to be successful in any way to spite top model”. “I reached out to Tyra and ‘Top Model,’ desperate to get out of my contract and get advice as I was not being given any castings, etc. by an agency that wanted me to fail,” Curry continued. “CRICKETS. Phone calls ignored. Then, my $15k for Revlon? Suddenly, I wasn’t being paid”. As a result top model has pretty much erased her presence from the show. Normally we see portraits of past winners, they make a special appearance, or they walk in a fashion show with the current contenders of the show. Unfortunately, that was not the case for Curry, no mention of her name of guest appearance has been awarded.

Greetings, my name is Kayla Martinez. I am a freshman at Clark Atlanta University, and I'm a speech communications major. I moved to Atlanta Georgia after graduating high school in Auburn New York. I am excited for this journey and it is a pleasure to be able to say I'm apart of HerCampus CAU.