Style > Beauty

4 Ways to Keep Your Natural Hair Healthy Throughout the Colder Seasons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Being natural as a Black girl, there will always be a love-hate relationship with your hair. Some days, the curls come out defined and poppin’. Other days you’re left on the verge of tears because the twist out you spent three hours on the night before has you looking like Cousin It.

Once the colder months start to hit, it seems to be even more difficult to keep your hair feeling and looking healthy. When the weather hits below 50 degrees, I used to be discouraged by how dry my hair can get. However, after a lot of trial and error, I, a naturalista, have compiled a list of surefire ways to keep those kinks, coils, and curls in shape.

Protective styles

One of the best ways to protect your hair from these rigid temperatures is to keep it in protective styles. These can include styles like braids, locs, frontal and closure sew-ins, and wigs. A lot of women actually prefer rocking protective styles because when executed correctly, they actually promote hair growth. To ensure the most growth, be sure to get those ends clips before getting your hair styled. In order for your natural hair to remain healthy, however, you must keep that scalp oiled. As much of a pain it can be to do, you have to oil your scalp around three times a week to ensure your hair is in shape. Some oils I love to use argan oils, olive oils, and coconut oils. Of course, no product is one head fits all, so use what works best for you.

Use as little heat as possible

I know fall and winter mean silk press season, but listen, just be careful, sis. I’m not telling you to put heat away completely, because I we as black women be itching to see our hair growth. If you have to straighten your hair, remember to use a heat protectant. Here’s my go to heat protectant I’ve been using since grade school. Another tip is to run the flatiron across your hair the least times as possible by using the chase method. This is where you take a rat tooth comb or a bristle brush, and comb it down your strands, allowing the flatiron to chase after it. This will ensure a straight look in two passes tops. Also, I know we can get stuck in our ways, but please try to turn the flatirons down a couple degrees. I promise you’ll get the same results.

Deep condition, deep condition, and deep condtion some more

A naturalista’s best friend is a good deep condition. Your hair could feel like straight up straw, but after a good deep conditioning treatment, it’ll come right back to life. You should deep condition everytime you wash your hair. First, wash your hair. Next, rinse out all of the shampoo and apply your favorite deep conditioner. To get the best results I’d suggest investing in a deep conditioning heat cap. What this does is open up your hairs follicles to allow more moisture inside. But, if you don’t own one or are looking for a cheaper alternative, you can just use a plastic shopping bag. Also, if you don’t know what deep conditioner to buy, you can always use your leave-in as an alternative. Leave the conditioner on for as long as the product specifies (if you’re using your leave-in let it sit for 20-30 minutes), and then rinse it out with cool water. And just like that, your hair is happy and healthy!

Sleep smart

Some nights I’m so exhausted that I feel like just jumping into bed and not doing anything to my hair. However, this can cause more damage than you think. By not sleeping with your hair properly protected you risk serious breakage and split ends. What I like to do is plop my hair into a loose “pineapple” at the top of my head and slip on a silk bonnet on top of that.This keeps my hair out of the way, but safe and secure at the same time. Of course, if you’re a rough sleep like I am, you know the worst feeling in the world is waking up to your bonnet on the other side of the bed. To combat this, I suggest investing in some silk sheets and pillowcases, just in case. Also always remember to oil up your hair every night before bed.

The tenacious Arianna Johnson is a junior mass media arts major with a concentration in journalism and a minor in political science at thee illustrious Clark Atlanta University. She's from the place where bigger is better: Dallas, Texas. This means that her love for BBQ is almost as big as her love for her state! She enjoys writing, shopping, makeup and here recently, doing nails. She hopes to one day write for CNN, Teen Vogue, Essence and more. If you're looking for sarcasm, political commentary, Black girl struggles, all things beauty and everything in between, then she's your girl!