Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo via @beyonce

4 Celeb’s That Embraced Black Culture This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

As we continue to experience life on the “inside,” each day has slowly begun to transform into a time for self-reflection, self-improvement and future preparation. In an effort to ease the ongoing stress that COVID-19 has introduced to many of us, this Halloween season was the perfect time to detach and entertain. 

In response to the excessive amount of quiet time over the past eight months, the holiday where citizens worldwide dress up to frighten peers, produce laughter, or pay homage to historical figures became the main priority for many celebrities this year. Of the thousands of entertainers that participated in the Halloween festivities, these 4 celebs made it a point to embrace African-American culture this Halloween season. 

spooky jack-o-lantern
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Lil Nas X: Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj seemed to be a popular figure to dress up as this Halloween as rapper Lil Nas X wowed his fans with a look-alike costume of Nicki Minaj’s outfit in “Super Bass”. Nicki Minaj is considered an extremely influential figure in the lives of many through her confident and bold mannerisms, verses and fashion statements. 

Ciara: Nicki Minaj and Janet Jackson

This year, Ciara made it a point to show her adoration for the many African-American women in the music industry. For Halloween, the R&B star dressed up as Nicki Minaj at the 2011 Grammy Awards and Janet Jackson in the “What’s It Gonna Be?” music video. It is no secret that many consider Nicki Minaj and Janet Jackson to be legendary musicians. In addition to these two women, Ciara also showed appreciation to rap artists, Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B. 

Cardi B Blowing Kiss
Giphy

Mike Epps & Family: The Jackson Family

Actor and comedian, Mike Epps, decided to continue his comedic act as he paid homage to the Jackson family. Epps, Kyra Robinson, his wife and 5 children (Maddie, Indiana, Bria, Makayla and Mariah) dressed up as Joe Jackson (Mike), Katherine Jackson (Kyra) and his children as Jackie Jackson, Tito Jackson, Micheal Jackson, Jermaine Jackson and Marlon Jackson. The Jackson family is known worldwide as extremely talented musicians and entertainers. 

Saweetie: Destiny’s Child

Saweetie duplicated Destiny’s Child “Bootylicious” single cover. The rap artist dressed up as all three members of the group, Kelly Rowland, Beyoncé Knowles and Michelle Williams. In addition to the cover, she also showed off her moves in a short video and gave her fans a taste of early 2000’s nostalgia. 

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

Other celebrities that have embraced African-American culture this year include Skai Jackson as Foxy Brown, Flo Milli as Left-Eye from TLC, Marsai Martin as Rihanna’s 2020 British Vogue cover, The Weeknd as Eddie Murphy’s Sherman Klump from the 1996 film, “The Nutty Professor” and Monica as Micheal Jackson in Thriller.

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.