Style

4 Basics You That NEED In Your Winter Wordrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The fall leaves are starting to reach their last bit of crunch and we are slowly, but surely,  beginning to feel the nippy breeze of winter among us. As the harsh season begins to creep upon us it is essential to prepare our wardrobes for the transition. A true fashionista works with the weather, not against it, in order to serve the fiercest seasonal looks. With that being said it is key to get back to the basics in order to construct a near-perfect, multifunctional winter wardrobe. Below are the five basic pieces you need to build a solid clothing rotation this winter.

1. Fitted Turtlenecks

An oldie but a goodie. Turtlenecks are the most simple yet the chicest way to go about approaching winter. Having a good arsenal of turtlenecks aids in serving practicality and complexity. The best way to go about wearing turtlenecks is layering. A fitted turtleneck looks good underneath collared shirts, vests, jumpsuits, etc. The fitted style provides you with the advantage of staying warm while still showing off your sense of style.

2. Button-Ups

An American fashion staple that will always be easy to work with. In severe weather resorting to button-ups are a quick way to stay warm while also looking put together. A classic move is to pair your button-ups with your favorite crew neck sweaters to add dimension and style while keeping you warm. Like turtlenecks, button-ups are always good to have a variety of options to choose from. Working with different lengths, colors, and materials create depth in your outfits and display an innovative sense of style while keeping it simple.

3. Midi-Coats

Keeping the aspect of sophistication and practicality, midi-coats are great pieces to have. The look of the coat will always allow you to feel put together, even when you’re not. While it is great to have one solid midi-coat, aim to have two: one light and one dark. Doing so will give you the day-night look transition. When choosing your colors work with basic colors that allow you to use accent pieces throughout the season to help switch your look up.

4. Colorful Accessories

Moving away from the basic concept, adding color will always elevate a look, especially in the winter. The basis of this is while everything else you have may be simple, your accessories have the opportunity to offer stylistic add-ons. Being that accessories like hats, scarves, and gloves run on the cheaper side of things it will always be easy to gather a variety to choose from. Doing so will allow you to accent your look while still keeping you cozy.

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up now is your time to plot on the best ways to gather any basics you may lack in your collection. When it comes to the colder seasons it is always better to be prepared rather than scrambling for the essentials later. Shop hard and stay warm!

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!