This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of going to the 2022 Essence Girls United Summit. Essence had a wonderful all-day event with panels, seminars, and mentorship sessions. Additionally, there were fun festivities such as a small shopping area full of Black vendors, food trucks, and a complementary beauty bar. In alignment with the ‘Forever the Blueprint’ theme, he Summit focused on how to become your best self and break into your desired industry or career field. There were a plethora of keys shared by esteemed panelists that true ATLiens and creatives alike would appreciate.

We Outsideeeee: Come to Events & Network, Network, Network!

For whatever field you’re trying to break into, showing your support for fellow professionals in that industry is the perfect way to start networking. Learning about leaders in the trade, finding out about more information, and meeting new people is the first step on the journey to truly making your mark. You never know who you will meet in the rooms you enter until you take your first step through the door. The Summit alone offered so many different opportunities to meet various people with Coco Jones, Trinitee Stokes, Jayda Cheaves, Dess Dior, and Reginae Carter a few feet away and so many more impactful guests to meet at Speed Mentoring. Varsay Sirleaf, a Communications and Digital Media Executive at Essence, made it quite clear that stepping out and fellowshipping with others is the right path to success. It’s not always what you know, but who you know.

Big Up Yourself: Don’t be Afraid to Show Off Your Work.

Donye Taylor’s “The Reel You” content creation panel emphasized the importance of sharing your content/services. It may sound cliché, or even similar to something from a grade school math class, but this is crucial to success. Promoting yourself helps showcase your process to reach a specific goal. People love to see how things are completed, even small tasks. Tutorials, how-to videos, and day-in-the-life vlogs are simple ways to make content while documenting your road to riches. As an aspiring content creator, this had a huge impact on me. So, show off your successful event or your current pet project. End Results are great, but the journey is always more valuable than the destination.

You Have Something to Say: Your Insight is Valuable, Offer it.

The phrase “Knowledge is Power” has never been a truer statement than in today’s times. The world loves a “Know-It-All” or even a “Know-It-Some.” Another notable highlight from the “The Reel You” content creation panel was to give your insight or expertise in your field. This is such an easy way to gain an audience or make a pathway in an industry that you have experience in. Offering critiques and consultations can lead you into spaces that you may not have had access to before by allowing others to see your knowledge in specific topics or areas. Present your passions to people, and it might just lead to a great opportunity for you.

It Doesn’t Hurt to Explore: Be Open!

Nobody’s path in life is completely straightforward. Take the time to embrace all the doors that are available to you. In my speed mentoring session with Essence’s Chief Marketing Officer Erika Bennet, she was honest about the numerous jobs she worked before finding out what she liked. She was a film student and a casting director, two titles different from the one she wears today. But Bennet’s experiences allowed her to figure out what she liked and disliked career-wise.

She also mentioned having a learning agenda. Make a list of things you want to learn or take away from each experience you are in and try to take advantage of the opportunity. Even if you know a particular role or entire industry isn’t for you, there can be something purposeful in this learning phase that may be beneficial for you in the future.

You Can Become! 

Lastly, know that you can achieve your goals. Pilot Beth Powell said it was one of her teachers who planted the seed in her because she saw potential in her as child. Through encouragement and motivation, she broke into a field with few female pilots and virtually none of color. Today, Powell is a successful pilot at American Airlines.

Believe in yourself and your ability to be successful. Rome was not built in a day! Becoming the best version of yourself is not as hard as it may seem. Your dreams are not as far out of reach as you may envision. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take. Push yourself towards your goals. If you feel like nobody else is supporting you, then think of Beth Powell’s words: “You Can Become!”

To learn more about the gems dropped at the 2022 Essence GU Summit and how you can attend next year, check out Essence Girls United on Instagram and Twitter.

Senior Mass Media Arts Major Wholesome Content for Everyone :-)