This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Ok so not really 13 reasons, but that was a great way of saying we’re so into that new Netflix Original 13 Reasons Why.

Being a good person is more important than you may think. But, what exactly makes you a good person? According to Hannah in 13 Reasons Why, a good person is someone who doesn’t make lists of who’s hot & who’s not. A good person doesn’t take photos under the skirts of girls sliding down slides & they definitely don’t slap them across the face at their favorite hang out spot. A good person makes sure their students aren’t suffering from suicidal thoughts instead of answering unimportant phone calls. If you haven’t caught on yet, there are 13 reasons why Hannah Baker did what she did. We don’t want to ruin them all so soon after the show released, but here’s a hint: they were all pretty bad.

Being a good person is super important. It’s not about good karma or hoping you benefit from the nice things you say to someone. It’s because you never know what someone’s going through behind closed doors. Just like Hannah Baker, there are people struggling with depression. What does that mean? According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, depression is “a condition in which a person feels discouraged, sad, hopeless, unmotivated, or uninterested in life in general.” If you know anyone suffering from the symptoms of depression, one of the best options is to talk to them and express your love for them. Tell them that you are there for them and that you care.

So how exactly can you become a good person? Well, here are a few things you can try:

Say something nice to someone at least once per day.

Hug a sister. It might make her day.

Remember that it takes more energy to be mean than it takes to just be nice. 

You shouldn’t need a gut-wrenching show like 13 Reasons Why to show you why being kind is necessary, but if you haven’t watched yet, go check out the trailer here.

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.