XOXO: 5 TV Shows To Watch If You Love Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Hello Upper East Sidders,

We all know that the absence that Gossip Girl causes in our lives is huge! The intrigues among the high society of New York, the parties, the secrets, the romance and, for sure, the fashion are remarkable. How can we forget Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) and Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively), the iconic “B and S”?

The series, that debuted in 2007 and ended in 2012, impacted a whole generation with its plot, environment and glamour. Counting on successful and outstanding characters, the show is an ambassador of New York city by having the mayor of the town proclaiming January 26th the “Gossip Girl Day”, in celebration of the hundredth episode of the show.

So, if you miss the glamorous and full of intrigue life of our beloved Gossip Girl as much as we do, here are some of the best TV shows for you to watch. 

5 TV Shows To Watch If You Love Gossip Girl

• The Royals  

Photo Credit: E!/Frank W. Ockenfels/IMDB

This fictional and problematic Royal family offers everything that we’ve been looking for: extravagant lifestyle, scandals and romance. The show debuted in 2015 on E! and it’s a free adaptation of the romance “Falling for Hamlet”, written by Michelle Ray. The series includes 3 seasons, with the total of 30 episodes, starring Elizabeth Hurley and our dear William Moseley (from Narnia) playing, once again, a beautiful prince. 

• The O.C.

Photo Credit: Warner Bros Television/IMDB​

California has never been so immortalized as in The O.C. Produced by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, who created GG, the TV show takes place in the Orange County, telling the life story of the complicated Ryan, who was taken in by a rich family. Aside from the mansions and perfection, the parents and teenagers are themselves are involved in chaos and love. Although it’s not as dazzling as GG, it’s almost impossible not to fall in love for the characters. 

Note 1: Adam Brody, who plays Seth in The O.C, is married to our eternal Blair Waldorf, the actress Leighton Meester.

Note 2: It was recently added on Netflix!

• 90210

Photo Credit: The CW/IMDB

The teen drama series, placed in Beverly Hills, follows the story of a Kansas family who moves to the celebrities’ town, where the two teenagers must adapt to the infamous social life of West Beverly Hills High. It involves struggles from high school to adult life, approaching themes like alcoholism, drugs and others. Also, the TV show is a contemporary spin-off of “Berverly Hills, 90210”, which aired on 1990 with 10 season to catch upon.

• Pretty Little Liars

Photo Credit: IMDB​

Secrets and more secrets could be the fall of a group of beautiful girls. Sounds familiar? The GG with mystery and darkness, Pretty Little Liars plot starts when Alison disappears and her friends start to receive messages and threats by a person who calls herself -A. The TV show has the same perspective of GG, where we can see the characters going from high school to adult life, exhibiting amazing looks and sexy boys and girls with a whole serious drama about stalking and bullying.

• The Carrie Diaries

Photo Credit: Patrick Harbron/The CW/IMDB​

Set in the 80’s, the spin-off of Sex and the City is all about the remarkable Carrie Bradshaw going through high school, trying to figure herself out. Carrying secrets and problems, the TV show is a clear version of Gossip Girl in the past century. Unfortunately, the series was canceled in 2014, but if you love fashion and trouble, it is totally worth it to watch the two aired seasons.

To fulfill the gap that the end of Gossip Girl left in our hearts in 2012, those shows will definitely catch your attention! Have a good TV show marathon-viewing!

XOXO

Mariana Mendes

Casper Libero '20

Student of journalism with a passion to tell stories. Also loves a good TV show, a conforting book and life changing movies.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.