timothee chalamet and zendaya coleman in dune part two
Niko Tavernise / Warner Bros

Worth the wait? “Dune: Part 2” lived up to its all-star cast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The following article may contain spoilers for Dune: Part Two!

After three years since the release of the first movie, Dune: Part Two finally hit the theaters at the beginning of March. With an almost 3-hour-length duration and a cast full of Hollywood’s A class stars, “Dune 2” is the hottest premiere of this month.

Acting Masterclass

With Denis Villeneuve directing and this astonishing cast, this film couldn’t have more emotions overflowing the screen from beginning to end.

Timothée Chalamet (Paul Atreides) is the main character, followed by big names such as Zendaya (Chani), Rebeca Ferguson (Jessica Atreides) and Javier Bardem (Stilgar). Their acting is so exceptional that the characters will take you inside the story in a way you’ll leave the theater just wanting to see more and more. 

Chani is Paul´s love interest and, even though she is an important character to his plot line, in the first movie, for the despair of some spectators, Zendaya only had a few minutes of screen-time. Now, she has finally gained more lines and a bigger narrative. There were quite a few scenes where she had to convey everything that the Fremen girl felt just by the look on her face. Zendaya mastered that, proving why she’s one of the most coveted actresses in Hollywood right now. 

Another feature highlight is Austin Butler´s acting, who plays the nephew of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, Feyd Rautha. Villeneuve said in an interview with “The Hollywood Reporter” that directing Austin was a mind-blowing experience. He compared it with seeing a “metamorphosis”, a sweetheart becoming someone so evil “in a second”. He also described his character as a “psychotic, sexy serial killer”.  

All-Star cast

Louis Chilton, Independent UK journalist, wrote that “the film feels big and significant because the people on screen are big and significant”, even if they don´t have a significant amount of screen-time.

The cast that already had big names like Josh Brolin (Gurney Halleck), Dave Bautista (Glossu Rabban), Charlotte Rampling (Madre) and Stellan Skarsgård (Vladimir Harkonnen) are now joined by stars Christopher Walker (Emperor), Florence Pugh (Irulan Corrino) and Léa Seydoux (Margot Fenring), who are making their first appearance in this saga. 

Even Anya Taylor-Joy has a small part in the new movie! With just one line, Anya plays the sister of Paul, Alia Atreides, who seems to be a key character in the future sequel.

Before the world premiere of the movie, where the actress made an appearance on the red carpet, nobody knew she was going to be in it. The director said the reason they kept her as a secret was because they wanted to make this a surprise “gift” for the fans.

masterpiece

The fans patiently waited for Part Two for a few years, but we can state that the wait was definitely worth it. In addition to the great narrative the movie has with the cast, the technical part of this saga is also outstanding. In 2022, The first “Dune” movie was nominated in 10 categories in the Oscars, including best picture. It was considered a masterpiece and won the statuette for Best Cinematography. 

The sequel may follow the same path in the 2024 nominees, and it will probably be indicated in many categories of Hollywood’s most famous event next year.

————————–

The article above was edited by Rafaella Angelotti Alcici.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Giovanna Garcia

Casper Libero '26

hi! i´m a journalism student who loves pop culture and sports :)