World Kindness Day: 7 Acts Of Kindness You Can Do From And At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Every year, on the 13th of November, World Kindness Day is celebrated as a way to promote the importance of being kind to each other, to yourself, and to the world. Introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement, this day may be different this year due to the pandemic, but this doesn’t mean we can’t do our part and bring a little more kindness into the world from the inside of our houses. To help with that, here’s a list of 7 things you can do today – and everyday – to make the world a better place, one kind gesture at a time.

Wear A Mask

Especially after seeing so many not wearing a mask, or not doing it properly – covering both your nose and mouth, it’s necessary to start this by saying that protecting yourself and others when going outside shows that you care about the health of other people. Wearing a mask is so important during this time and, as Schitt’s Creek creator and star Dan Levy said, “the simplest, easiest act of kindness you can do in a day”.

Check In

You may not know, but someone in your life can be having a tough time dealing with the new scenario we’re currently living in, so just making sure they are alright and, if they aren’t, letting them know you are there for them, is a very nice thing to do.

Compliments Can Be So Powerful

It could be in person – socially distanced of course, through a video or phone call, or on social media, even the smallest compliment can brighten someone else’s day. Are your friends investing in new hobbies during quarantine? Is someone on your Instagram feed starting a new business during the pandemic? Support them! Sometimes, a few words are all we need to go through the day or to feel motivated enough to get something done.

Show Your Appreciation

Simply let your friends and family members know that you love them, and that you are glad to have them in your life. Just by showing that you appreciate that someone in any way, can make them happy, and it will probably make you happy too. 

If you’re looking for a more “materialistic” demonstration, you can also get a gift card from an online store, or buy them something they want/you think they will enjoy. My tip: If you know they like a certain band or singer, get them a piece of merch. 

Buy From Small Business And Give Tips

https://twitter.com/eternaldroplets/status/1323467202880704512

Small businesses are struggling to keep their doors open during the pandemic, some are managing to survive only because of deliveries and loyal customers, so If you can, choose to purchase from them. Also, if you do get something delivered, make sure to tip the delivery person, because their jobs are absolutely necessary, but dangerous, especially during this time we are living in now.

Donate To Charity

You can make a donation to a charity that has missions and will work towards a cause you also believe in, or you can donate in someone else’s name to a charity of their choice. This year, several charities are focused on the effort against the pandemic. Unicef’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund is accepting donations all over the globe to help support the World Health Organization and other partners to protect and support people and communities affected by the pandemic. In Brazil, you can do your part donating to several institutions, like Hospital das Clínicas, Uneafro to help support black families and peripheral communities, and Articulação de Povos Indígenas do Brasil to aid native communities.

Don’t Forget About You

Remember to also be kind to yourself, acts of self-care and activities you enjoy will make you happier, plus more energized to help and be kind to others. It can be going on a walk, meditating, having a comforting meal, reading a book, listening to music, dancing, whatever you want to do.

As Harry Styles always says, Treat People With Kindness!

———————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Carolina Grassmann.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Laura Okida

Casper Libero '21

Journalist. Music, series, books, pop culture, in no particular order.
Madalena Derzi

Casper Libero '21

100% believes aliens exist
Carolina is a national contributing writer and was formerly a summer and fall 2021 editorial intern at Her Campus. She's a Brazilian journalist and writer, and she's very passionate about TikTok, coffee shops, and Taylor Swift.