Working in Communications: In or Out?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s very common for someone who studies communications, whether it is advertising, journalism, public relations or radio and tv, to listen that this area is in slow motion. However, the problem with this statement is not everyone who work in comms agree with it .

The truth is that Communications is an area always going through changes. Communications have always existed and will continue to, even though if not in our traditional conception of it. Humans have the urge to socialize and, therefore, several different ways of communicating have appeared throughout the centuries. Communication is not in crisis and will never be. There will always be jobs for those who work with and in this area.

Lucas Vaz, who has a degree in Advertising, commented on the shortage of vacant spots that  “I don’t think it is saturated, but I think the market is going through considerable changes in its structure.” In the same path, Carolina Cardoso, who also graduated in Advertising concluded: “No, the market is not saturated! I have friends in the area and I keep seeing a professional growth. I think the secret is to create an interesting network, showing that you know what you do.”

Lucas said that despite having this opinion, today he works with something very different: “I’ve always been a musician since I was 7 years old. When I was finishing school, I thought better of not playing music, especially because of the tough market. I thought of other courses that I would like to study, and decided to apply for Advertising. I spent 10 months during the 3/4 year of college working with this, but since I graduated in 2015, I have never worked in the field and I fully dedicate myself to music today.”

On the other hand, the advertiser made a point to remember that he likes the course he did and he really would work with it again: “I like Advertising a lot and would go back to working with it quietly. My expectation is to continue to take courses to keep myself updated, because the communication market changes very fast and requires this from any professional”.

Carolina also said that she would work in Advertising area again. Today she works with management and she is really happy.  When asked if she would study a different course if it were to start again college, she denied:  “I would not change anything I studied in the past! I did at least 7 courses in the communication area. I think all knowledge is valid. Today I am this person because of everything I have learned.”

Due to the many possibilities of working in Communications and because of the changes that occur at all times, people ended up having a misguided view that there are no jobs available. Lucas and Carolina made it clear that they did not leave the area because of lack of opportunities, but for personal reasons. They would work with communication again in the future if the opportunity came. What drove them away from that career was not the difficulty in finding jobs, but from other possibilities that arose.

Student of Journalism and law, curious, extroverted and happy. Do what you love then success will be a consequence. :)
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.