Culture > News

Women’s Month Isn’t Just For Cisgender Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We can say, in general, that women’s month is not women’s month. It is for cisgender women — who are not part of the LGBTQIAP+ acronym — women who are accepted in society. Their month is not the month of minorities among minorities.

When we talk to transgender women or transvestites, for example, we get a new vision of society. A vision that our bubble ends up depriving us of achieving. The perfect world would say that women’s month is for everyone who identifies with that gender and not just women that society “wants to accept”, as if this were a general choice and not a personal one. But this is simply not true.

“Unfortunately, we are excluded from the job market, we are marginalized. Only one percent of trans people make it to college, the number of those who complete the education cycle is very small. Opportunities are very few, prostitution has been the only source of livelihood for most trans because they are kicked out of their homes under the age of 15.”

Who shares part of his experience is Fabris Martins, the first fan with a social name in a club, Vasco. She is a designer, podcaster, Youtuber, and columnist, enjoying not sitting still. Fabris brings and shares a truth that many cisgender women don’t understand and that wouldn’t even be a place of speech.

When we talk about trans people and transvestites or when we research about them, the only thing we see is related to deaths. Brazil is currently the country that kills the most transsexuals and transvestites, according to Antra (National Association of Transvestites and Transsexuals). In no space in the media is there a specific survey for trans women, it’s as if they don’t have space. This should be included in the struggle of many women, as other necessary data.

“Women’s Day doesn’t say it’s specific to white, cisgender, middle-class women, which is what many people imagine, The International Day of Women’s Struggle is a day of intersectionality, a day that you must involve all women, It wasn’t supposed to be an exclusionary date, it’s a fight date, to add”, talk Fabris.

Society needs to understand and respect that all people who identify as female need to be considered women. This is not a choice of society, to respect or not, this is an obligation. You think that if someone came to you and defined you differently, you wouldn’t like it, right? So why don’t you also respect the choice of others?

Coming out and understanding yourself being part of the LGBTQIAP+ community is already extremely difficult. Now, when it is necessary to deal with prejudiced strangers, it becomes even worse. Can you imagine having someone who suddenly arrives and doubts your gender? Boring!

Women need to unite and respect each other, not just in the month of struggle, but every day. It is necessary to wake up and know that you are doing the right thing, it is important to ask for pronouns, it is important to know when your space ends and someone else’s begins. So it is possible to live in a better way, with more harmony.

In your next few days, try to stand up and give representation to women, to minorities. You don’t have to specify “she is trans, she is cis. All of them are women, and that’s all you need to know and respect. Do this exercise to have a better world.

———————–

The article above was written by Tayna Fiori and edited by Nicoly Bastos. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Tayna Fiori

Casper Libero '22

Primeiro ano de Jornalismo, extremamente apaixonada pela informação e sempre buscando me inovar! Disposta a agarrar novos desafios e me tornar melhor a cada dia!