Woman’s day: #5 women that changed the course of history

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

As we know, women have always been placed as secondary characters in a story mediated by men, this fact challenged our beloved stars to shine in an incomparable way, changing the global narrative. 

At this women’s week, let’s focus on those who have revolutionized with their authenticity and ideals that are so formidable that brought us to tears and inspired us to this present day. 

1. Hypatia of Alexandria (350-415)

Philosophy, mathematics and astronomy were the specializations that brought Hypatia to life, an egyptian woman who was born in the 4th century and left us a lot of knowledge.

Hypatia was considered to be the first female mathematician in the world, and in 2009 got her own movie called Alexandria

Throughout her life she was persecuted for defending scientific rationalism, so condemned by the 4th century church, and for that she was killed in an ambush.

2. Ada Lovelace (1815-1852)

Ada Lovelace was a noblewoman from the 19th century who proved to be a mathematical genius from a very young age. This made her stand out among the mathematicians of the time, and she even married one of them. 

Even though computers didn’t exist yet, Ada became the first programmer in history, something very fundamental today. Can you imagine a world without computers or software? Well, thank our dear countess.

3. Marie Curie (1867-1934) 

Marie was a Polish physicist and chemist who conducted research into radioactivity. She is considered the mother of modern physics and also a symbol of the feminism fight.

The first woman to win two Nobel Prizes, one for physics and the other for chemistry. She made history and left as her legacy the two chemical elements that she discovered, radium and polonium.

4. Rosa Parks (1913-2005)

Her life was turned upside down when she decided to use her voice in a world where it wasn’t heard. This happened the moment she refused to obey a segregationist USA law.

This act led people to start movements in favor of civil rights for black people. It became an icon of the anti-racist fight.

That’s why Rosa Parks leaves us a brilliant legacy. It was thanks to her and her attitude that the United States became a less uneven country (even though there’s still a lot to improve). 

5. Katherine Johnson (1918-2020)

As NASA likes to define her, “the girl who loved to do math”, Katherine was a brilliant woman from a very young age, who stood out and later became a “human computer” at the American space agency – a role that was extremely necessary, since there were no computers at the time.

One of her greatest achievements was helping with the Apollo 11 mission, known for taking man to the moon, through her precise calculations. With all this prominence, Katherine was awarded the United States’ highest decoration, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In this article, we brought you only five women who changed the course of history, but there are countless others who were part of it and inspire us to be strong, persistent and powerful. 

Happy Women’s Day!

The article above was edited by Ana Beatriz Aith.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Ana Laura Ayub

Casper Libero '27

Atualmente cursando o primeiro semestre de Jornalismo na Faculdade Cásper Líbero.