Style > Beauty

Why it’s important to choose biodegradable glitter over the plastic version

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

There’s a saying in Brazil that states the year “only starts after the carnival festivities”, and it’s safe to say that, throughout the first days of 2020, a lot of people spent their time planning their costumes, makeup looks and, of course, the parties or “bloquinhos” (as we call street carnival parties) they wanted to attend.

And what goes more with carnival looks and festivities than a glittery shiny makeup?! Nothing! However, people usually wear a type of glitter that is made out of plastic and, definitely, not good for the environment. But, for the sake of our festive looks, there’s now a sustainable alternative: biodegradable glitter, so you can shine and still care for the health of our planet!

Here, at Her Campus Cásper Líbero, we are collaborating with a brand of biodegradable glitter called “Blitter”, created by two Cásper Líbero College alumni, Beatriz Franco and Beatriz Facchin, in 2019. They have a lot of color options, and their price is very affordable – each product costs only 5 reais!

Why choose blitter over glitter?

It is very important to take consciousness on what we consume, and to take care individually of our ecological footprint. Most non-biodegradable glitters go directly to the ocean due to their size – since each speck of glitter is way too small and does not get filtered. 

Plastic glitter not only contaminates water streams, but also the marine species, since it does not decompose.  Animals end up eating this tiny pieces of plastic that are not good for them. Also, people end up consuming their own waste when they eat seafood.

Blitter, on the other hand, is made out of agar-agar, an algae, which dissolves in contact with water and does not pollute the oceans. Its shine is natural, and there is no problem it it goes back to nature.

It is easy to be sustainable!

Blitter and glitter don’t have the same consistency, but that won’t stop anybody from creating beautiful eco-friendly looks. And, to prove that, the President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Cásper Líbero, Laura Ferrazzano, created an IGTV video with a look that, trust me, will make you shine throughout the carnival festivities. Check it out!

This Carnival, and any other glittery occasion, make sure you choose Blitter! Check their Instagram account for more information! HCXO

Carolina is a national contributing writer and was formerly a summer and fall 2021 editorial intern at Her Campus. She's a Brazilian journalist and writer, and she's very passionate about TikTok, coffee shops, and Taylor Swift.