What We Know About Heartstopper Season 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Heartstopper is the new Netflix show, coming out on April 22nd, based upon the graphic novel by Alice Oseman. The story follows Nick and Charlie, two teenagers that fell in love with each other, and throughout every scene we learn more about their personalities, friends, problems, and how adorable they are with each other.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1511707249118392331

About the author

Alice Oseman was born in Kent, England. Her debut novel was Solitaire, which guaranteed a nomination for the YA book prize. She has already published four other YA novels, Radio Silence, Loveless and I Was Born For This.

From Tumblr To The Screens

The first episode was released on Tumblr back in 2016, updated twice a month. The first and second volumes came out in a physical version only three years later. With more than 170 episodes and seven chapters, the comic is ongoing and continues to be available on Tumblr. 

Finally, on July 11, 2019, the big announcement came, Heartstopper was officially becoming a TV show, by the “See-saw Productions”. It took two years for Netflix to land the production, and with that, they started casting people and the show became a reality.

meet the cast

Joe Locke is a young British actor, starting his career just now and is responsible for bringing Charlie Spring to life. In an Instagram post, he said “Charlie, you have changed me in so many positive ways. You have taught me things I never knew I needed to be taught” and also said he is so grateful to bring him to life.

The sweet Nick Nelson will be played by Kit Connor. His first big role was playing young Elton John in the movie Rocketman. William Gao is Tao Xu, Charlie´s best friend, a nice guy, and always ready for advice. As we can see in the teaser. 

Elle Argent, played by Yasmin Finney, is Tao’s love interest, she is a trans character, played by a trans woman. 

Kizzy Edgell is Darcy Olson and Corinna Brown is Tara Jones. Two girls who are constantly laughing and are always helping Charlie and Nick in their relationship. 

Just like all good stories, Heartstopper has some bad guys. Ben Hope and Harry Greene, played by Sebastian Croft and Cormac Hyde-Corrin, are responsible for causing trouble to our Maine couple. 

Played by Jenny Walser, Tori Spring is one of the most loved characters in the fandom. She is Charlie’s older sister, the type of person who doesn’t say much and is always observing.

In the show, two new characters were added. Isaac, portrayed by Tobie Donavan, is part of Charlie’s group and is a huge bookworm. Always hanging out the school gates with Nick, Imogen is a bold and determined girl, who just wants to live her best life, and is played by Rhea Norwood.

Unfortunately, Alice decided that Aled Last ( Charlie’s best friend and main character in Radio Silence) will not appear in the show. On Twitter, she stated, “ I did not feel I could give Aled a truly satisfying story, a complex storyline in the show while having to ignore the events of Radio Silence”.

From left to right: Reah Norwood, Tobie Donavan, Cormac Hyde, Joe Locke, Yasmin Finney, Sebastian Croft, Kit Connor, William Gao. Bottom row: Corina Brown, Kizzy Edgell.

just like in the comics

Recently, Netflix Brasil uploaded a video showing all the similarities between the comics and the show, and with no doubt made every fan more excited and faithful that everything will be perfect. 

Netflix is responsible for many book adaptations and with every new announcement, fans worry that their favorite book will get ruined. But so far, with every promotional picture and video, Heartstopper fans have nothing to fear.  

@netflixbrasil

Minha nova série #Heartstopper está PERFEITA e eu posso provar. Estreia dia 22/04! 🍂🏉 #booktok #NetflixBrasil

♬ som original – Netflix Brasil

what to expect

Heartstopper is a story with a good and respectful LGBTQ+ representative, showing different aspects of what it’s like to be a teenager, from coming out of the closet to dealing with mental health. Alice always makes sure to be very responsible while talking about certain subjects. Different from the teenage shows, Heartstopper won’t have any drugs, alcohol, or sex scenes. All the actors are around the character’s age, which is not common in Netflix productions.
Another point is that the music playing in the teaser is called Colors Of you, by the singer Baby queen. She said on her Twitter that the song is inspired by Nick´s journey with his sexuality.
You can expect a heartwarming romance with fun moments and maybe a new comfort show.

And to be more excited than we are right now here’s the trailer:

————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Beatriz Gatz

Casper Libero '25

Passionate about books and music. I started writing stories for school and fell in love with writing. I also care a lot about humanitarian and Ambiental causes and, for me the best way of helping is by the information. You can talk to me here: beapiresgatz@gmail.com