Culture > News

What To Expect At The Carnival And Samba School Parades In São Paulo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After 2 years without one of the most important cultural events in Brazil, the Carnival is back!

These two years of a global pandemic made people who give their life for a parade on avenue miss all the energy that only Samba can give. But this year, with the flexibilization of the use of masks and the social withdrawal, the Carnival will finally happen!

This moment represents a mix of feelings to people who live for this. The return of Carnival it’s like bringing back our identity after two years when we couldn’t get out of home and fear, sadness and worry were the only words in our vocabulary.

The Carnival parade in São Paulo will happen on April 21st to 23rd, at the Sambadrome of Anhembi. On the 21st, the Samba schools of the access group perform, and on 22nd and 23rd it´ll be the time of special groups. This time, coming back to the Avenue it’s something of pure responsibility and emotion. 

One of the traditional Samba Schools of São Paulo, Rosas de Ouro, will show a deep letter, where the public will hear about healing rituals, as Paulo Menezes said in an interview by Globoplay. It’s a current theme, like Angelina Basilio, president of Rosas de Ouro, said.

Apago a luz e acendo vela pra saudar

Dobro os joelhos e me curvo para o pai 

Pai de tantas faces e caminhos

Em tuas mãos, entrego o meu destino

Deus onipotente, onipresente, salvador

Faço minhas preces ao senhor

Que a ciência seja a fonte do saber

A medicina, esperança pra salvar

O povo cantando em oração

A alma e o brilho no olhar

Entenda que o samba também tem o dom de curar”

Part of the samba plot of Rosas de Ouro.

Like the Society Rosas de Ouro, all the other Samba Schools will walk on the Avenue with the mission to impress the audience with more exciting presentations.

Check now a brief interview with Danilo Lopes, admirer of Samba and especially of Rosas de Ouro Society:

HER CAMPUS: What’s your role within the Samba School?

DANILO LOPES: Folião. At first I went in as Folião, just to have fun. I sympathized with the school and went to have fun!

HER CAMPUS: How was it for you to get the news of the Carnival return?

DANILO LOPES: We’re happy, right? We had to stop everything, that sort of thing. We lived in despair. Now I’m very happy.

HER CAMPUS: If you could express how you feel about participating in the Rosas de Ouro Society, what would you say?

DANILO LOPES: I could qualify in many ways, right? Love, compassion, complicity, happiness and other things…

————

The article above was edited by Giulia Lozano.

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero’s home page for more.

Lívia H. Magalhães

Casper Libero '25

Lívia, 17 yo, journalism student at Cásper Líbero University. Addicted to music and passionate about soccer.