What is the history and real meaning of the coveted Michelin Star?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

As a member of the modern world, you probably heard of the Michelin Star. Even if you are not a fan of Masterchef, this prestigious food award is a current subject in many movies, books or documentaries. 

But do you know what the real meaning and backstory of the Michelin Star is?

History

Considering the renown and prestige that is often associated with the Michelin Star, people often assume that this world famous award has a great story behind it. Even though it is a great story, it has a far more humble beginning than most people expect. 

It all began when two brothers, Andre and Edouard Michelin, with great vision for the Automobile Industry, opened a tyre company in Clermont-Ferrand, a small town in France. Interestly, this was at a time France had  fewer than 3,000 cars in the country.

Seeing that they were working with a very limited public, the Michelin brothers developed a little guide book, with information of all sorts, to encourage motorists to go on trips, therefore boosting demand for automobiles, and tyres in turn. 

The Michelin Guide was filled with handy information: maps, information on how to change a tyre, where to fill up with fuel and, of course, a list of hotels, mechanics and restaurants in the most popular routes in France.

Even though, at first the little guides were given for free, as the tyre company grew they started charging for the little freebie, and by 1920 the Michelin Guide brand had been launched. 

With the growing popularity of the food section, the brand started giving ratings in 1926. With the help of a group of mystery recruited men, the restaurants were awarded a single star if they were deemed a “fine dining establishment.” In 1931, the rating system expanded to become the Michelin three-star,  three stars being the most exceptional cuisine.

What’s the importance?

A Michelin star is not given to any establishment. Actually, to receive a single one denotes that the restaurant possesses the greatest of qualities,alongside  remarkable cooking.

According to the Michelin Guide Star Rating Descriptions, the amount of stars given has each unique meaning:

One Star: A very good restaurant in its category.

Two stars: Excellent cooking, worth a detour.

Three stars: Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey.

The evaluation is made taking account of five universal criteria: the quality of the ingredients, the harmony of flavors, the mastery of techniques, the personality of the chef as expressed through their cuisine and, just as importantly, consistency both across the entire menu and over time. That last part ensures that the stars are an annual award that can be taken or reduced in case the restaurant does not keep the same standard.

The reason behind why it is so coveted is quite simple: restaurants that have received a Michelin star, or stars, gain an immense esteem all around the world, that almost always accompanies a high demand audience. That is, even a single one Michelin star can ensure complete booking for months.

How is it perceived nowadays?

Some may argue that with so much free information, alongside  a new culture that relies on user-generated reviews, that the Michelin guide and the Stars may be losing their importance.

However, in a social scope overflowing with this mass critique, where every person with a profile on public media can share their opinion, it’s hard to keep a standard. While this allows people to share experiences and different points of views, it’s also unreliable and biased comments. Not because they have bad intentions, but because as humans we are all victims of our preferences and tastes.

To the contrary, Michelin reviewers are trained to abstain personal inclinations, and look at a meal with more objectiveness.  Instead of looking for a meal to satisfy their momentaneous desires, they have to pay attention to the five criterias in the Michelin Guide. 

With almost 100 years of history, the Michelin Guide has built a reliable and trustworthy brand. People from all across the globe recognize the Michelin Star as a synonym for the highest quality of food and service.

Example of restaurants that have it

The oldest 3 Michelin Stars

Although a good number of restaurants hold the privilege of a Michelin Star, very few have the ultimate prestige of 3 stars.

The first one to ever accomplish this was L’Auberge du Pont de Collonges (also know as Paul Bocuse) in the small town of Collonges-au-Mont-d’Or near Lyon, France.

While the name might be a little bit too hard to pronounce for non- french speaking, the reputation of this restaurant is legendary. Not only have they received a 3 star’s review, but they have managed to keep them since 1965.

The cheapest one

Because of all the prestige and renown that accompanies the Michelin star, one may be inclined to think only expensive and exclusive restaurants can receive one.

However, a small hawker center in Singapore with no air conditioning and very few places to sit has one of these disputed stars.

Right now, you can get a a plate of tenderly braised chicken with oily and pungently seasoned rice for only a little bit more than one dollar.

The most remote location

For a long time the Michelin Guide was exclusively French, but they have evolved for almost every corner of the world, including the Faroe Islands. 

By the name of KOKS, the restaurant is located in a tiny house in a mountain range mostly covered with water. 

Getting there may be an adventure, but the menu is described to be absolutely outstanding, with ocean-fresh daily catches and local ingredients. 

——————————

The article above was edited by Clarissa Palácio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero homepage for more!

My name is Maria Eduarda Ticianeli, I'm 17 years old,and I live in Boa Vista,Roraima. Since a young age I have been an extroverted and curious girl,who could never stay quiet about something I'm passionate about. Writing have become an outlet for me to express all of this energy and enthusiasm. Besides, by words I can use my creativity and improve my mind. Therefore, I'm very anxious to contribute to Her Campus and hopefully find new friends.