What is Going On at CIP? Get To Know The Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about communication? There is a word that can sum up these thoughts: exchange. At CIP, short for Interdisciplinary Center of Research, exchanging is the main point as well.

Since 2000, Cásper’s students apply for the Center, considering the theme they want to study through the year and the research line of each CIP’s graduation professor. After the selection period – which includes writing a letter of interest, sending your college report and participating of an interview –, some scholars become the new researchers.

They get to work along with the professors – who give all the support they need through group meetings –, writing their own academic papers based on their object of study and contributing with the communication area. Therefore, the involvement with CIP provides great exchange of ideas, not only between the people who are there, but also with the society.

The 2018 CIP’s students have already began their studies! Curious to take a sneak peek at their themes? So take a look on what they have been planning.

Dress to Express

Can fashion be a way of communication? “Yes!”, would say Rafaella Piragini, one of the new researchers who decided to take a deeper look on how fashion can be an instrument of culture and communication. She thinks that, every time people dress, they are trying to express something, consciously or not. Furthermore, Rafaella sees that the general “frivolity” thought on this matter makes it seems less important. Therefore, she wants to show that this statement is actually not quite right, because fashion has an incredible power.

Soccer as a cultural essence

Image Source: Wikimedia

In South America, soccer has a great influence on the cultural aspect. For this reason – and because of her love for the sport –, Gabrielle Martinez, journalism student, decided to study the construction of this identity in Brazilian and Argentinian soccer, relating both nations. She explained that, besides the physical proximity, the countries have different ways of cheering and playing. The same happens on how the press reports soccer news, so she wants to base her research on two big magazines from each country – “Placar” and “Corner” from Brazil, “El Gráfico” and “Don Julio”, Argentina.

Musical voice from the periphery

Women from “Slam das Minas – SP” – Image Source: Renata Armelin

Periphery women live in a difficult context and need to express themselves. Music is one way they found. Moved by this statement, Isabela Guiduci wants to understand the use of music as an expressive voice from these women. “Why did they choose this?”, “Is it to shock people?” and “Is it because it is easier?” are some questions that Isabela wants to discuss. Moreover, she thinks that, by studying this process and its propagation effects, she is helping to disseminate their ideas to the academic place, where themes like this are left aside.

Are we really communicating?

Image Source: Wikimedia

Interested in Dominique Wolton, a french communication theorist, Maria Luísa Rodrigues is determined to study deeply his theories and to relate them to the Facebook dynamic between the users and the media inside it. She agrees with Wolton when saying that people are not communicating, but confusing themselves. In her point of view, the same is occurring on social medias and this general misunderstanding is one of her study focus.

Worth more than a thousand words

Image source: LIFE Magazine

“We forget about the image power of communicating something”. That is what Miguel Perez, Cásper’s journalism student, said about his main theme: the construction of the AIDS’s image representation through the 90’s. His research is based on David Kirby’s death photographs, taken by Therese Frare. The pictures were so impressive that it was used by the brand Bennetton in an advertisement, which got known around the world. Miguel explains that what motivated him was his duty to the LGBT community, which was stigmatized during this period.

After all these amazing themes, we bet you are all anxious to read more about these Casperians’ researches, right? And if you got interested, keep an eye on the next CIP process, that will probably happen at the end of the year.

Success, guys!

Mel Trench

Casper Libero '20

I’m a journalism in formation, really near graduating! You’ll probably find me reading a book, drawing, talking about Harry Potter, taking pictures or just telling some story. Hope you enjoy my articles :) Her Campus Casper Libero Feature Editor
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.