This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After almost two years of the release of the Grammy “Album of the Year” nominee “Norman Fucking Rockwell!”, and the publication of her first poetry book “Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass“, Lana Del Rey is back for more. The singer announced that her highly awaited 7th studio album, called “Chemtrails Over the Country Club“, is set to be released on the 19th of March. The album has 11 tracks, 10 of which were produced and co-written by Jack Antonoff, known for working in Taylor Swift’s “folklore” and for his previous collaborations with Lana herself.

The album’s title sparks curiosity as it alludes to the chemtrails conspiracy theory, which claims that the traces left by airplanes are actually chemical substances deliberately sprayed to control the masses. Conspiracy theories are a recurring theme to her songs, as well as the glamorous Hollywood’s golden age, the American dream and it’s tragic end, utopia and apocalypse. However, there are also new themes surrounding the tracks.

As Lana reveals to Interview Magazine, the new record was deeply inspired by the North American Midwest: “It’s funny, the record was Midwestern-sounding before I even went to the Midwest. (…) “With Chemtrails, it was like, ‘Is this new folk? Oh, god, are we going country?’”. This influence was perfectly portrayed on her Jimmy Fallon performance of the first track of the record to be released for the public “Let Me Love You Like a Women”. The settings imitating a western bar, mixed with the cosy atmosphere, gave us a clue of what direction the album was going to take.

The next released track was the song that named the album, “Chemtrails Over the Country Club”, which counts with a video clip. Moving on to the unreleased tracks, also during her ‘Interview Magazine’ story, Lana discloses: “I think a defining moment for this album will be ‘White Dress/Waitress’”. She also reveals, this time for an article in “Music Week”, that ‘White Dress’ was entirely improvised. Moreover, she talks about ‘Dealer’: “I think I need to add that song, ‘Dealer’, where I’m just screaming my head off. People don’t know what it sounds like when I yell. And I do yell”. 

Some of the most anticipated tracks include “Tulsa Jesus Freak”, “Wild at Heart” and “Yosemite”, since bits of these songs were leaked online a few years ago, and the fans always begged for their official releases. “Yosemite”, which was also fully improvised, was actually meant to be on “Lust For Life”, but the song didn’t make the cut because according to the singer in a promotional interview for the album: “It was too happy. We’re not there yet.”, and she continues: “Yosemite was more of this idealistic return to nature”.

The new era promises to remind us of the beginning of Lana’s career, barely edited, mostly improvised and pure. In her own words: “It just brings me back to that good old fashioned feeling of getting lucky and being able to express myself without really having a second thought about needing to edit it. That’s what the sentiment is about, being brought back to a time when things felt the purest.”

Our expectations are really high over this album. How about you? What are your expectations on ‘Chemtrails Over the Country Club’?

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Larissa Mariano.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giovanna Garcia

Casper Libero '24

Estudante de relações públicas em São Paulo, Brasil. Apaixonada por cultura pop e cinema.