A Weekend in Rio de Janeiro: The Best Options to Enjoy Good Beach, Food and Night Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Everybody loves a good trip to recharge energy and feel renewed. Unfortunately, for the most of us, vacation is only one month during a long year of twelve. The solution is to do the best use we can of our weekends. Thinking about that, we prepared an itinerary to enjoy Rio de Janeiro for two days. It seems like it’s not enough in a city that has so many good things to do and see, but, it´s possible to have a great time at the Wonderful City, even in a few days.

Let’s start with the “must see” places. If it is your first time in Rio and you do not want to miss the touristic spots, don’t forget to add Pão de Açúcar and Cristo Redentor to your list: the great view is guaranteed. If you like soccer, you can do a guided tour at Maracanã. It is the biggest soccer stadium of Brazil and the most symbolic one.

If there is something that you can choose in Rio, is a beautiful beach! There are so many options that you can get sad for not having enough time to see them all. Flirting, beautiful people and lots of good drinks you can find at the popular Copacabana and Ipanema. These two beaches are the spot to see and to be seen. Is not for nothing there are the most popular beaches of the city.

You can also go to a beach less crowded to relax and enjoy an amazing view. Two great options for that are Recreio and Grumari. This last one, it’s a beach from Barra da Tijuca area, west zone from Rio.

Praia de Grumari

Rio is also a place for gastronomy lovers, replete with great restaurants and historic food places like Confeitaria Colombo. It was founded in 1894 at downtown, it’s in an historical and cultural patrimony building. You can find lines on your way in, but the creamy coxinha and the many sweets choices are worth the wait.

Confeitaria Colombo

After watching the sunset at Arpoador Stone, you can go at TT Burger to taste an amazing hamburger with delicious fries and a very special ketchup made of guava paste. And don’t forget to buy a can of Brownie do Luiz. You can find anywhere there.

The night life doesn’t disappoint either. Rio is a happy place, full with young people who likes to enjoy themselves. As everybody knows, Rio has a lot places to hear and dance funk music. A famous one is Castelo das Pedras. If you want to experience a little the life at the communities and see a great view, the spot is Bar da Laje, a very cute place at Morro do Vidigal.

There are also good bars to enjoy a nice Brazilian beer at the two most bohemians neighborhoods at the city: Lapa and Santa Teresa.

View at Bar da Laje

With all these options, it is easy to enjoy a great weekend. And the best part of a short trip, is that you just need one little bag and a big will to have fun.

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.