A screenshot of Lady Gaga\'s new music video
Interscope Records
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

This last Sunday (30) took place the MTV Video Music Awards 2020 (VMA), one of the most awaited awards of the whole year, broadcasted by MTV from all over the world. It was the first award with open-air presentations during the pandemic of Covid-19, in various locations in New York City and also used a lot of virtual reality. The shows had a limited audience and followed all the guidelines for social distance, with responsible police officers who carried out rounds to check that everyone was complying with health measures. Some of the performances were also recorded before the streaming.

This year’s VMA hostess was the actress and songwriter Keke Palmer, who even performed a short performance at the presentation and also brought up “Black Lives Matter”, Kenosha and the movement for racial justice, saying “the leaders of that movement are you… it’s our time to be the change we want to see.” Keke acknowledged the death of Chadwick Boseman during the show’s opening, saying: “We dedicate tonight’s show to a man whose spirit touched so many. He is a true hero, not just on screen, but in everything he did. His impact lives forever.” In addition, there was a moment of tribute to the heroes of everyday life, showing scenes of doctors singing and dancing in this complicated moment.

Some Looks Of The Red Carpet:

Lady Gaga

Gaga wore Area from Fashion Week 2020 on the red carpet and was highly praised on social networks.

Miley Cyrus

Miley wore Mugler from Fashion Week 2020 and also attracted lots of attention, many people said it was the best look on the red carpet.

Machine Gun Kelly

The singer bet on Berluti and pink for the red carpet.

Chloe X Halle Pre-Show

One of the big revelations this year, the duo Chloe x Halle did a pre-show at the awards that was widely talked about on the Internet, with many people saying that they should be in the mainstage. They performed an incredible performance of their song “Ungodly Hour”.

The Weeknd Opening Show

The first performance of the night was The Weeknd with his hit “Blinding Lights”. Abel wore the same costume as the clip that came out in November 2019. The performance took place on a platform in Manhattan, 300 meters high on top of The Edge building and had many fireworks to open the awards. When Abel received his awards on the stage, he said he was unable to celebrate at a time like this and in his first speech he asked for justice for Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old black girl who was killed unjustly by police in March of this year in Louisville. The Weeknd competed in 9 nominations and won 2: “Best R&B” and “Video of the Year” with his hit “Blinding Lights”.

The Night Star And “Rain On Me”

The artist of the year and record holder of the night, who received a tribute and was acclaimed by this year’s VMA, Lady Gaga, besides doing one of the most expected performances with Ariana Grande in the partnership “Rain on me”, with a impeccable presentation of the duo, also made a medley of Enigma, Chromatica II, 911, and Stupid Love, from their new album “Chromatica”, with a great vocal, incredible looks and masks, besides impeccable and differentiated scenarios. In the end, the singer even climbed a platform and lay on a bed to “sleep”. “Be kind, mask up, and be brave” was one of her phrases of the night.

Gaga´s Iconic Looks

The most awarded muse of the night has won five awards, alone in the category “Artist of the Year”, “Tricon Award” and with Ariana Grande, the second record holder of the night next to BTS, with the song “Rain on Me”, in the categories “Song of the Year”, “Best Collaboration” and “Best Cinematography”. To receive four of these awards on stage, Gaga went with different looks, using Valentino, Candice Cuoco, Iris Van Herper and Christopher John Roger.

Miley Cyrus Remembering “Wrecking Ball”

After rocking her red carpet look, Miley made the third performance of the night with her new single “Midnight Sky”. The performance looked like a music video, even with only colored lights, a ladder and climbing on a crystal globe, referring to the iconic and unforgettable video “Wrecking Ball” of 2013. Miley won two categories: “Best Art Direction” and “Best Editing” with her video “Mother’s Daughter”.

The Expected Performance Of The K-pop Group BTS

Maybe the most expected performance of the night, the boys of the South Korean group BTS participated in the awards for the first time this year and presented their new song all in English “Dynamite”, with impeccable choreography as always, and a screen with several scenarios.

In an interview with VMA’s, they said that they would like to collaborate with Lady Gaga and Doja Cat among all the artists present there. The boys won four awards in the categories “Best Pop”, “Best K-pop”, “Best choreography” with the song “On”, released in February, and “Best Group”.

Doja Cat At The Moon

With her songs “Like that” and “Say So”, which exploded on TikTok, Doja did a very well produced performance, looking very much like a music video too, using a lot of virtual reality and good choreographies and dancers. The singer wore a bright and beautiful dress in her presentation and won in the category “Push Best New Artist”.

Dababy’s Criticism And Protest Statement

Rapper Dababy medleyed his songs Peephole, Blind and Rockstar. The singer brought up the subject of police violence against black people in his performance. In the corner of the stage there was a sign written “stop killing us”, showing the criticism present in his presentation.

Maluma With His Drive-In Show

The Colombian singer presented his song “Hawái” from his new album “PAPI JUANCHO” released this month (21). The presentation was actually a drive-in show, with a lot of people in their cars watching the performance, representing this pandemic moment. Right after performing, the singer won in the “Best Latin” category with his featuring with J Balvin in the song “Qué Pena”.

Check out the winners of the night:

VIDEO OF THE YEAR: The Weeknd – “Blinding Lights”

ARTIST OF THE YEAR: Lady Gaga

SONG OF THE YEAR: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande – “Rain On Me”

BEST COLLABORATION: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande – “Rain On Me”

PUSH BEST NEW ARTIST, Presented by Chime Banking: Doja Cat

BEST POP: BTS – “On”

BEST HIP-HOP: Megan Thee Stallion – “Savage”

BEST ROCK: Coldplay – “Orphans”

BEST ALTERNATIVE: Machine Gun Kelly – “Bloody Valentine”

BEST LATIN: Maluma ft. J Balvin – “Qué Pena”

BEST R&B: The Weeknd – “Blinding Lights”

BEST K-POP: BTS – “On”

VIDEO FOR GOOD: H.E.R. – ”I Can’t Breathe”

BEST MUSIC VIDEO FROM HOME: Ariana Grande & Justin Bieber – “Stuck with U”

BEST QUARANTINE PERFORMANCE: CNCO – Unplugged At Home

BEST DIRECTION: Taylor Swift – “The Man”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande – “Rain On Me”

BEST ART DIRECTION: Miley Cyrus – “Mother’s Daughter”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Dua Lipa – “Physical”

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY: BTS – “On”

BEST EDITING: Miley Cyrus – “Mother’s Daughter”

BEST GROUP: BTS

SONG OF THE SUMMER: BLACKPINK “How You Like That”

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Gabriela Sartorato.  

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Brazilian journalism student whose passion is a mixture of writing and listening to music. My lemma is always to be happy and respect people :)