This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The girl group that is now trending on TikTok, V5, is known for its diversity and extreme talent. Their main account on social media counts with over 3.8M followers, and 497K on Instagram. The four members, who come from different Latin America countries, were already as famous as they are talented before the group was formed.

Looking for young talents, the production of The X Factor Celebrity, a spin-off of the original survival show The X Factor, contacted the original five members via social media to form a group before the show even started. After creating huge names like One Direction, Little Mix and Fifth Harmony, it was sure a “once in a lifetime” opportunity for those who want to pursue this career. Being different from the former show, the new format was a bit shorter, lasting from October 12th to November 30th, a total of 8 weeks.

The girls met only seven days before the audition, and despite the few time together, they slew on their performance of Juice by Lizzo, receiving nothing but compliments from the judges Nicole Scherzinger, Louis Walsh, and the famous Simon Cowell. They were praised for their looks, energy, chemistry, and the most important, their vocals.

V5 had only one week to prepare for each performance, focusing the majority of days on training their voices, and a few to learn the choreography. They had to prepare one main performance and one “standby” performance if they were placed in the bottom spot (which happens if you were the least voted among the contestants). The group placed bottom twice during the show.

Sofia, the Brazilian member, said in an interview that after the time spent in the Los Angeles, where they did the audition to enter the program, none of the members were allowed to say what happened, especially because the former member Natalie left the group before at the beginning of the process, which was soon replaced by Renata.

V5 is currently a four-member group, composed by:

Sofia Oliveira

A 21 year old Brazilian who already had a solo career before V5, since 2013. She has already worked with artists like Dulce Maria, in the song Me Beija (Besame).

Alondra Martinez

A 20 year old Puerto Rican and Dominican. When she was only 14, she debuted and became a finalist in the singing competition, La Banda.

Laura Buitrago

The oldest of the group, is a 23 year old Colombian. She has a YouTube channel with almost 1M subscribers, and a total of 68,401,196 views.

Wendy Sarmiento

The youngest of the group, is only 20 years old and Cuban. Became a star after her appearance in La Voz Kids 2013. Started dancing at the age of 5 and singing at the age of 10.

The key that made them so strong as a group is how they are paving the way for many other Latin artists, especially in the UK. It was the first time someone from Latin America got to The X Factor´s final. Those girls made history and for sure inspired many others to aspire to their dreams, no matter how hard it can be.

—————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

A journalism student following her dream.