Uncuffing season? Here are 5 celebrities couples who have broken up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

As 2023 started we were not expecting to cry while listening to Lover but that is how it goes. Since last year a lot of celebrity couples have broken up, like Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady, or Florence Pugh and Zach Braff.

The couple’s break-up is sad for the fans and the romantics, but celebrities, especially musicians give us at least a new soundtrack to cry while you think about a special someone or not that special anymore. Let’s see who are the couples who had broken up at the beginning of the year!

Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn

Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn were together for six years, having many of Swift’s songs about their relationship. On April 8th the news about their break-up was released by People and Entertainment Tonight, making the whole fan base officially children of divorce. 

Insights says “It was not dramatic” and it happened a couple of months ago, probably around February. After that a lot of rumors and theories from fans appeared on social media, saying that she gave signs during The Eras Tour, like changing “Invisible String” to “The 1” at the setlist. All we know is that she will never walk Cornelia Street again because hits different this time.

Avril Lavigne and Mod Sun

In February, less than a year after their engagement the couple broke up. Avril and Mod met in January of 2021 and released a song called “Flames”. They were first linked together a month later and he proposed to her in April 2022 in Paris. Both of them made a lot of declarations on social media and interviews during the relationship. After the split, Lavigne was spotted having dinner with the rapper Tyga, who she is in a relationship with now.

Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth

Two days before their 12th wedding anniversary, the couple released a joint statement announcing their split. The couple met back in 2010 and got married in 2011 at Reese’s house in California. Together, they are parents to one child, Tennessee, and apparently, their divorce was amicable. Since then, there were rumors of new relationships, but Reese is focused on her production company, called Hello Sunshine, and new projects.

Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott

The couple had an on-and-off relationship since 2017 and, in six years together, had two children, Stormi and Aire. Back in January, their break-up was announced, and close sources allege that the reason may be their different lifestyles. Kylie Jenner is reportedly 100% focused on her kids and always wanted the relationship to grow, something that didn’t happen. Despite the ups and downs, the couple says that their priority will always be their family and their friendship.

Billie Eilish and Jesse Rutherford

The relationship was confirmed by Billie Eilish in her annual Vanity Fair interview in October 2022, but, less than a year later, their break-up was reported.

When the rumors about the relationship started, the fans pointed out the 11-year age gap between the singers, in which they made a joke in a Halloween costume where she was dressed as a baby and he was dressed as an old man. The motivation behind the split was not revealed, but Billie’s rep said it was amicable and they remain friends, so let’s wait for the next albums and find out more about the behind-the-scenes.

Here is a playlist with break-up songs to get in the sad mood, or watch a really cute rom-com to make the sadness go away — editors pick: Notting Hill with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.

————————————————

The article above was edited by Giulia De Demo Assis

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Beatriz Martins

Casper Libero '26

Journalism major, fangirling about Taylor Swift and passionate reader.