Girl Serious
Girl Serious
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Tumblr 2014 Aesthetics Is Back? Understand The Trends That Marked This Era On The Web

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Have you deleted your Tumblr blog yet? Did you stop wearing ripped stockings? Or maybe have you stopped listening to Lana Del Rey and the Arctic Monkey’s iconic album AM? Well, it’s time to create a new Tumblr account and put together a brand new playlist, because 2014 is back!

As Vogue published on January 2nd, 2022 has everything to bring back the 2014’s Tumblr Girl to forget the Y2K hype for a while, bringing back some nostalgia to our fashion and music style, always tending to look back at the alternative/rock-ish influences.

Right now, Tumblr has been taken over mostly by fandoms – including Marvel, Taylor Swift, Harry Potter and a whole lot of others. But do you remember the time when we’d log into our accounts and our timeline was filled with melancholic and dramatic quotes, a few pictures of Effy Stonem from Skins and a lot of people sharing music from alt/indie artists like The 1975, Twenty One Pilots, Halsey, The xx and Two Door Cinema Club?

According to Vogue’s article, the tendency to come back to the indie aesthetic is getting stronger every day. While the Y2K fashion tries to be extra glamorous like at the beginning of the century, the Tumblr Girl aesthetic tends to keep it simple and cool, choosing neutral colours and a dark mood to create their style.

A few weeks from now, the “rockstar girlfriend” trend started to hype on TikTok, which made people want to look like the cool and stylish girlfriends who are always “with the band”. That made them want to look back into the alt/indie fashion once again, dusting off their Arctic Monkeys album and wear more leather jackets and Dr Martens. 

So if you miss 2014 and the iconic Tumblr Girl style, let’s take a look at the fashion trends that might be coming back in 2022 so you can take those old clothes out of your closet to reimagine them into new outfits:

The makeup

In 2014, the Kardashians were starting to popularize contouring in the makeup department. And while they had a huge influence on trending Kylie Jenner’s big matte lipsticks, the Tumblr Girls wanted to swim against the hype. Instead of glamming around with sparkly eyeshadows, maybe you should try Effy Stonem’s signature makeup by investing in black eyeliners, neutral colour eyeshadow palettes and a whole lot of mascara.

Stockings, fishnets and tights

Doesn’t matter how you call them, I’m definitely sure you used to love throwing them into your outfit with short dungarees or skirts. There were a lot of different stockings designs, including the ripped ones and the normal ones. While people tended to forget about it through the years, it’s a good trend to keep an eye on for this new year.

Dr Martens or (very) old All-Stars

Sneakers and combat boots never go out of style. But do you remember when everyone was obsessed with Converse’s All-Stars and Dr Martens boots? They were the ultimate cool shoes to complement your alternative outfit. And if you matched them with your stockings, then you had done a good job!

Denim and leather jackets

What’s better to complement an outfit if not a third piece of clothing? And jackets are the best call to finish the ultimate alternative girl style. Invest in leather and denim to make your outfit extra cool. And if you feel like it’s missing something, you can always add some patches and spikes to your jackets.

Rock tees

Since we were talking about alternative/indie artists, now it’s time to revive them in your outfits. Do you remember that old “Born to Die” or “Nirvana” shirt you haven’t worn in years, but carries a huge emotional baggage on it? It’s time to wash it and put it to use! Combine those tees with flannels, denim shorts, your favourite jackets and boots to finish the perfect Tumblr Girl outfit. That way you can show everyone that you’re cool and you have great music taste.

Accessories

While we might think accessories are resumed mostly to jewellery, in 2014, they were a little bit different. So while you can bring back those Aviator glasses and cool earrings, you can also bring back the beanies, the scarfs and the iconic Taylor Swift’s 22 black bowler hat.

Colourful hair

If you ever wanted to dye your hair in a different, and definitely not natural, colour, but you were too young for that, your time has come! Remember when pink, purple, green and blue hair wascool? In 2014, you could combine those crazy colours with some bangs to create a cool and edgy style.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Larissa Mariano.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Rafaela Bertolini

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student with a dubious taste in series, books, movies and music. Oh, and please send me a picture of your cat!