Style > Fashion

Tom Ford’s latest collection: remember the most iconic moments of the designer’s career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On April 26th, the designer Tom Ford announced that he will leave the creative direction of his homonym brand, after its sale to Estée Lauder Cos. To mark his departure, his latest collection was inspired by his favorite designs made while he was in front of the label.

About the collection

The Tom Ford Archive collection is inspired by his creations from the past 13 years. It was presented in three videos directed by Steven Klein, with models that are the face of the brand, such as Carol Trentini, Karlie Kloss, Joan Smalls, Amber Valeta, and Karen Elson.

Throughout the videos, the most memorable stages of Ford’s career in his brand are presented and conducted by himself, creating a timeline. The end of the video is dramatic due to the stylist leaving.

The clothes in the collection are a reference to Tom’s creations with a lot of glam and sensuality. We can also see metallic dresses, Ford’s classic jeans models, mini-dresses, and leopard-print suits. At the end of the video, all are dressed in black, representing the end of Tom Ford’s cycle in the brand.

We can also notice some pieces inspired by the designer’s iconic creations for celebrities, such as the dress worn by Gwyneth Paltrow at the 2012 Oscars, the mini-dress that Beyoncé wore to Mrs. Carter World Tour, and the famous chrome top that Zendaya wore at the Critics Choice Awards in 2020.

The designer’s career

Tom is a designer born in Texas, United States. He has worked for major brands, such as Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, and, of course, his homonym brand, Tom Ford.

He was responsible for recovering Gucci’s relevance in the 1990s. The brand was going through trouble at the time, and it was Ford who rebranded the Maison and brought it back with his creations that exuded sex appeal.

The designer was named creative director of Yves Saint Laurent in 2005, another major fashion house that was struggling. Ford once again revitalized the brand, creating stunning and modern apparel that appealed to a new generation of customers.

In 2005, when the stylist was already well-known in the luxury market, he announced the creation of his own brand. With his mark, Ford invested in North American celebrities and, in 2010, Beyoncé, Julianne Moore, and Rita Wilson walked in the brand’s first women’s runway. 

With the departure of his brand, it’s not yet known if the designer will leave fashion or he will look for new opportunities in other luxury brands. Either way, his creations at Tom Ford will always be memorable, along with his creative and stylish vision.

The article above was edited by Mariana do Patrocínio. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Gabriela Romar

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student obsessed with fashion and beauty & art lover