This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

I remember as if it was yesterday being really anxious, nervous and a little bit annoyed by the fact that in the morning I would be part of my Freshman Prank, known in Brazil as “Trote”. I thought it was some kind of irritating rite of passage that I should be part of, although I knew that I wouldn’t like it. My Freshman trote was the last one with Cásper permitted with food, cat food, alcohol and all types of unsolicited ingredients. I went home looking like a cake, my hair smelled kitchen oil and concerning the usual arguments they used for saying why the trote was enjoyable – such as making new friends and meeting your veterans – I was very doubtful about those things. A year passed by and for all I know, the trote didn’t even made a huge difference in my life, whether I meet people or not – I mean, when your veterans are throwing eggs in your hair, there is not much deep connection being developed. 

After my Freshman Reception, the school took several measures to make sure food wasting, alcohol and other things wouldn’t be included in the year my class would do the prank in our freshmen. Makeup and paint were approved and used. And turns out that with our freshmen not having to close their eyes or fell disgusted by the food we were throwing at them, they had a much more pleasant experience than my class. Turns out that we talked and helped most of them. Turns out that we created a much more healthy – and environmental conscient – experience, while keeping with the prank tradition.

But for those that will climb Cásper stairs tomorrow and still have doubts and questions about what to wear, what to bring, we prepared a few fashion and structural tips.

1) Pick a simple outfit It was hard for me too, but the prank is all about people putting glitter and paint in your shirt, cutting our shirt and painting your pants, so the less you care about those pieces, the more you will enjoy. Maybe a pair of shorts, a T-shirt (with a tank top underneath, in case someone cuts your T-shirt) and flip-flop (Havaianas).

2) Try to avoid red T-shirts in your outfitCásper colors are Red and White and most veterans use red during the prank, because it’s easier for identification.

3) Bring the least with you as possibleYour cell-phone, your bilhete único, a couple of money and that’s it. The prank is not exactly the best place to bring your new tote bag or notebooks.

4) Look for help if anything happensThere will be plenty of veterans to help you in case anything happens – glitter in the eye, a guy that treated you badly (or did sexist comments). From CAVH (Centro Acadêmico Vladimir Herzog) to the Feminist Group (Lisandra), everyone wants the prank to be enjoyable, so do not hesitate to get help – either for you or other freshman.

5) You don’t have to go to the bar with you don’t want to and neither pick money in the traffic lights. After all the paint and socializing, veterans usually make freshman pick money in Paulista’s traffic lights to buy them drinks and go to the bar. To some people that sounds totally nice and expected, but other don’t few confortable – especially because a lot of the freshman don’t have enough age to drink. 

6) If you were adopted by a veteran, contact him/her!Every year, CAVH does an adoption, in which veterans can adopt one or two – this year even three – freshmen to show them aroung the college, tell them what to expect in their first year and other interesting facts about the college. Although I didn’t participate in my freshman year, I had a friend (she went to Junior High with me and was a year older and she was went to English school with me), Giulianna that helped me a lot. We sat in a café and she told me about all her classes, what she liked and didn’t like, what the teachers were like. It was great, because I had a good notion about how things worked and how my classes were going to be (even what teacher hated people asking to use the bathroom or coming in late).

7) Always check social media and the school’s website for news updates!

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.
I'm a journalism student at Cásper Líbero University and the fashion editor of Her Campus Cásper's Chapter.  My biggest dream is to travel the world and to be a poliglot!