Time For Popcorn: 14 Netflix Originals You Have To Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Netflix is a worldwide known platform founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph. At first, Netflix emerged as an online DVD rental company, in which North-Americans could rent how many DVDs they wanted and stay with them how long they wanted. However, in 2007, ten years after its launch, the CEOs decided to follow the technology advance and upgrade the proposal: transform Netflix into a streaming platform and go worldwide.

The idea went great and nowadays Netflix is a success in more than 190 countries around the globe. In an attempt to go even further, the company decided to create its original content, with TV shows, movies and documentaries. In 2013, the platform released House of Cards, its first completely original production, which was a huge success. Since then, Netflix have been working on a lot of original content, expanding its catalog – and its fame – in exorbitant ways.

Thinking about that, we made a list of 14 Netflix Originals you should definitely give a shot and binge-watch on the weekend. Check it out!

Trinket

The show tells the story of three young girls, Moe (Kiana Madeira), Elodie (Brianna Hidelbrand) and Tabitha (Quintessa Swindell), that share the same problem: they are all kleptomaniac, which means that they have a desire for stealing, from little souvenirs to expensive prom dresses. Nevertheless, Trinkets is so much more than that. The show mixes important subjects, such as sexuality, racism and abusive relationships, with that bittersweet flavor of being a teenager and falling in love for the first time. Trinkets is a great production to binge-watch in just one day and feel like friendships and being young and bold can be forever. 

Julie and the Phantoms

Directed by the amazing Kenny Ortega (High School Musical), Julie and the Phantoms carries a sweet Disney Channel essence but with great and necessary representativeness. Julie (Madison Reyes) is Latin-American girl who had her life turned upside down when she played an old CD of a 1995 rock band called Sunset Curve and three dead members of the band showed up to her as ghosts. Building a beautiful relationship, Luke (Charlie Gillespie), Reggie (Jeremy Shada) and Alex (Owen Joyner Junior) will help Julie find the courage to sing again, even without her mom. With great original songs, the show teaches so much about forgiveness, strength and the power of love. Based on the Brazilian series “Julie e os Fantasmas”, Julie and The Phantoms is an awesome reminder that “we are just one dream away from who we are meant to be”.

The Half of It

Who doesn’t love a romantic cliché, right? The Half of It is this and so much more! Although it may seem like a random romantic comedy, the movie is way deeper than that. Ellie Chu (Leah Lewis) is a smart high school student that does her colleagues’ homework to make a little money and help her father with the bills. However, as every teenager, she has a secret crush that nobody can know. Ellie is completely in love with Aster Flores (Alexxis Lemire), a popular girl that seems to be very nice and sweet. So, when a boy asks Ellie to write love letters to Aster in his name, she sees herself in a conflict that she could have never imagined. Will Ellie help her potential friend or refuse and stay in her comfort zone?

Sweet Magnolias

An amazing underrated show, Sweet Magnolias is a cute production to watch and not think about anything. The show tells the story of Maddie (JoAnna Garcia), Hellen (Heather Headley) and Dana Sue (Brooke Elliot), three best friends that live in a small town in North Carolina since they were little kids. Exploring family, career and different shapes of love, Sweet Magnolias is a very grown-up show that enchants easily. Besides that, the series has perfect photography and scenarios, which make us feel like we could live there too and have a “Margarita Night” with the characters.

Period. End of Sentence

Period. End of sentence is a mind-opening portrait of how menstruation is still a taboo in India and how this stigma impacts thousands of women who should not be ashamed of their period. The 26-minute documentary directed by Rayka Zehtabchi won the 2019 Best Documentary Short Film Oscar and tells the story of a group of Indian women that started a quiet sexual revolution when they decided to make cotton tampons and fight against the menstruation stigma. It is definitely an amazing production to binge-watch and a great reminder of the importance of fighting for our rights.

Coisa Mais Linda: Girls From Ipanema

A perfect mix of growth, captivating characters and good music. This is the basic plot of the Brazilian show Coisa Mais Linda. In the 1950s, Maria Luiza (Maria Casadevall) decided to leave her almost perfect life in São Paulo to follow her dream to open a restaurant with her husband in Rio de Janeiro. However, the man steals all of the money and runs away without telling anyone. Feeling hopeless, Maria Luiza is almost giving up everything when she meets Adélia (Pathy de Jesus), a very inspiring black singer, and Thereza (Mel Lisboa), a journalist who is not afraid to speak up for her rights. Together, Maria Luiza and Adélia decide to open a bossa nova club all on their own. Coisa Mais Linda is a beautiful story about female power with lessons that goes from racism to trust issues and it is certainly worth a binge watch that you will not regret.

Homecoming: A Film by Beyoncé

It is impossible to forget Beychella, right? The artist’s performance in the 2018 Coachella, a famous festival in California, was so outstanding and breathtaking that it became an inspirational documentary about Beyoncé’s concert and some backstages. The film explores all sides of her life, from the famous diva that everybody knows to the woman in love with her family and a dedicated mother. Besides that, the movie was directed and produced by the artist, being so meaningful for her career that it is hard to not get emotional. Beyoncé was the first black woman to be the main attraction in Coachella and since the beginning of her career she has been inspiring millions of people with her work. It’s fascinating to see a powerful woman like her being such a great artist and person. Homecoming: A Film by Beyoncé is a masterpiece and everyone should watch it at least once in life.

Outer Banks

Being young, bold and free is the most important thing in this amazing Netflix Original show. Outer Banks follows the path of four best friends who don’t have much for a living, but have hunger for adventure. After his father went missing, John B (Chase Stokes) called Kiara (Madison Bailey), JJ (Rudy Pankow) and Pope (Jonathan Daviss) to help him find out what happened to his dad. However, in the meantime, they discovered that the city of Outer Banks, in North Carolina, was filled with a mysterious treasure underneath the ground. With nothing to lose, the four teenagers decide to go on an electrifying treasure hunt and only stop when they find the hidden secret. Outer Banks is that kind of show that makes you want to live your best life – and even buy a boat. With only 10 episodes in the first season, the show is a great choice for those who enjoy teenage drama and mysteries.

When They See Us

Based on real facts, When They See Us is a sad, but necessary, punch in the stomach. Created by Ava DuVernay, the show tells the story of five young black men who were wrongfully accused of sexual assault and rape in Central Park, New York. They got arrested and had their dreams and lives interrupted for a misunderstanding and, most important, for prejudice. The miniseries is a raw and powerful portrait of how racism affects millions of black lives around the world throughout the years. It is a reminder that we must listen to black voices and fight for their rights, since it is a battle that everyone should be fighting for, it is a battle for the basic right of living and being free.

Spinning Out

Great performances and acting. These are the most outstanding things in Spinning Out, a show that enchants and makes us think about every single relationship we build in life. The series tells the story of Kat Baker (Kaya Scodelario), a very talented ice skater with bipolar disorder and had her career ruined after an accident. Now, her last chance to save her career and ice skate again is if she accepts to be partners with Justin Davis (Evan Roderick), the best male ice skater in America and a very cute and arrogant boy. At first, Spinning Out might look like an average teen drama show, but it is way deeper than that. The show involves mental disorders, drug abuse, pedophilia and so much more. Furthermore, Kaya Scodelario’s acting is so breathtaking that it almost feels like Kat is a real person, highlighting Kaya’s talent once seen in Maze Runner

Locke & Key

Mixing fantasy with sci-fi, Locke & Key is a mind blowing show that will certainly leave your jaw on the floor. After seeing their dad get murdered for no apparent reason, the Locke siblings move to the family’s old house in the middle of nowhere, the Keyhouse. In an attempt to adapt to the new home, the youngest, Bode (Jackson Robert Scott), explores every little inch of the construction, until he finds out that the house is filled with magical keys that might be related to his father’s murder. Locke & Key is a show to get addicted to and it is a must-have on your to-watch list if you love good mysteries with a little touch of magic.

Anne With An E

What to say about this cute show that will steal your heart in the very first episode? Based on a book called “Anne of Green Gables”, Anne with an E is the story of a little orphan girl who changes the life of two old siblings in ways that they could never have imagined. However, even though Anne Shirley (Amybeth McNulty) brings all kinds of joy to anyone around her, she still will have to face prejudices and judgments when going to school and dealing with other kids and ignorant people. Furthermore, Anne with an E explores racism, feminism, the power of friendship and all the beautiful shapes of love. Watching it is a transforming experience, full with beauty, simplicity and inspiration, that everyone should have.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

Although this movie is getting more and more famous every year, I could not leave it behind and not talk about this perfect story. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean (Lana Condor), a sweet girl that loves to keep love letters in her teal hat box. They’re not letters that she received, but letters that she wrote for every single boy that she has ever liked. The letters are deep and sincere, and they are Lara Jean’s most secret possession, no one can see it. Nevertheless, when the letters are mysteriously sent away, Lara Jean’s love life becomes something that she could have never imagined. Based on a book with the same name, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is the perfect choice to watch on a friday night and fall in love.

Sex Education

Last but not least, Sex Education is a recent TV show that has stolen everybody’s hearts with its honesty and fun. In the show, Otis (Asa Butterfield) is a teenager who lives with his mom, a sexual therapist. Even though he’s still a virgin, he’s a specialist when it comes to sex. Therefore, Otis gets together with Maeve (Emma Mackey) and Eric (Ncuti Gatwa) and they start a sexual health clinic to help other high school students – and make a little money. Sex Education is funny and light like being young but with very important issues and reflections. It is definitely a great opportunity to learn more and laugh at the same time.

Finally, it is clear that Netflix has a lot more original content, but this list is just an abstract to some of the known and not-so-known productions that are definitely worth watching. So now, choose one of them, get the popcorn and let’s go, the binge-watching season has just begun!

————————————————-

This article was edited by Anna Bastos.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus at Cásper Líbero homepage for more!

Leticia Lopes

Casper Libero '23

a bookaholic journalism student, feminist and tv show enthusiast.