The Sanderson Sisters Are Back! Here’s Why You Should Watch “Hocus Pocus 2”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After 29 years since the release of the first film, Bette Middler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy are back as the Sanderson sisters.

If you were born in the 2000s and enjoyed the “golden age” of Disney Channel, then, by Halloween time, you must have seen the movie “Hocus Pocus” at least once. Blending humor and horror, released in 1993, the film tells the story of the Sanderson sisters and their journey in the town of Salem – both in the past and present. 

Now, 29 years later, on September 30, Disney+ has released the long-awaited sequel in its catalog. Directed by Anne Fletcher – known for “The Proposal” and “Dressed to Marry” – and scripted by newcomer Jen D’Angelo, “Hocus Pocus 2” is the return of Winifred (Bette Midler), Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Mary (Kathy Najimy), as well as Winnie’s zombie and former lover, Billy Butcherson (Doug Jones).

In addition to the “most powerful coven in history,” the plot also tells the story of another trio of friends: Becca (Whitney Peak), Izzy (Belissa Escobedo) and Cassie (Lilia Buckingham). On Becca’s 16th birthday, as she and Izzy perform their annual ritual – involving crystals, candles and the occult – they end up bringing the witches sisters back to Salem. 

At this point, the three go in search of their ancient artifacts, such as the Book of Spells (the one with an eye on the cover, that was theoretically alive) and their hourglass, so that they can perform a dangerous spell and become the most powerful witches of all. 

The plot continues from this point. Can they perform an entire spell and survive the sunrise?

Now that we have given you an overview of the film, it is time to bring you our best impressions (SPOILER ALERT!)

More comic than ever

It is a fact that the first feature mixed terror with a great deal of humor: while the trio of sisters threatened to devour the children of Salem, they said everything in humorous and sarcastic tones. It isn’t different in the sequel, it’s even better and more accurate. 

The relationship of the three is comical itself, since Winnie (the older sister) is completely bossy with Sarah and Mary, showing herself to be the leader, while the other two laugh and follow her commands – even if, at some point, they try to claim that leadership, failing on the spot. 

As they appear in the present, it is comical to see the generational clash between what they remember, from the 90s, and how things really are in the present. It’s funny to see them relate to new technology, while thinking that beauty products would be new potions — as in taking an anti-aging cream or eating a face mask. 

Witches’ songs

One more tradition from the first film is maintained: the iconic singing of the sisters. As soon as they are summoned, the witches appear singing “The Witches Are Back,” while boasting that they are back and warning families to hide their children.

There is also one more song, the film version of “One Way Or Another”, an original song by the band Blondie, released in 1978. The musical number also features a crowd of people — spellbound by the sisters. 

The origin of their witchcraft

The sequel closes some gaps that were left open in the original film. Among them, the origin of the sisters’ witchcraft.

After being expelled from Salem, the three sisters end up in the Forbidden Woods (from the name alone, you can imagine what to expect). They run into the Mother Witch (Hannah Waddinghan, a special appearance) who, at first, was going to devour them, but changes her mind because she believed Winnie was already powerful. 

The Mother Witch eventually tells them more about witchcraft and the importance of Salem to the witches as she decides to present them with her Book of Spells, creating the most powerful coven of all. 

The traditional moral of the story in Disney movies 

At the end of the film, we are faced with the classic moral of the story present in practically all Disney films. 

Between the trio of friends, it is shown how the “power” of friendship is always stronger than any disagreement. Even when they go through relationship problems or get together to fight the witches, the three become friends again and become a group as powerful as the coven.

The Sanderson sisters, on the other hand, show the importance of sisterhood among women and how the love between them is indestructible. Since Winnie did not read the warnings of the great dangerous spell, she loses the most precious thing in her entire life and, to win it back, she needs Becca’s help. 

It’s clear that Bette Middler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy had a lot of fun shooting the sequel to Disney’s 90s Halloween classic. To close with a golden key, the film ends with two post-credit scenes: one at the very beginning, being more of a sing-along moment, and one at the end which could indicate another film for the series. 

So what did you think? Did you remember the first film?

The article above was edited by Milena Casaca.

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Fernanda Alves

Casper Libero '25

Future journalist, writer in training and lover of culture.