Style > Fashion

The power of jewelry: Get to know more about these 5 remarkable brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Jewels are the final touch of any look and essential in their composition. All over the world, the most traditional jewelry brands are innovating in the designs, finesse and class of the pieces. Thinking about it, we brought five famous and traditional jewelry stores in the world for you to know a little more!

Tiffany & Co

Founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany and J.B. Young in 1837 in New York City, Tiffany & Co is one of the most famous and traditional jewelry stores in the world.

The brand began working only with silver jewelry, which received the “Quality in silver” award at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, the most important fair at the time. This took Tiffany to another level in the jewelry world, gaining global fame.

The notion of luxury in the United States has been redefined by Tiffany & Co, with its luxury and unique jewelry. The brand played a central role in the popularization of gems made in the USA, with diamonds, pearls, sapphires and tourmalines. 

The jewelry store became a reference in diamonds and very famous for its engagement rings and for its elegant and timeless designs. The brand is so well known that it even has a characteristic color, tiffany blue, which prints the jewelry boxes and bags.

Tiffany & Co has already worked with jewelry designers that are references in this universe, such as Jean Schlumberge, Elsa Peretti, Paloma Picasso and, nowadays, the creative director is Alexandre Arnault, heir to the LVMH group (group that bought the brand in 2021 ).

Currently, the jewelry store remains one of the most famous and traditional in the world, but it is reinventing itself and trying to create a connection with the young generation, modernizing itself and passing a message beyond aesthetics, always prioritizing the code and valuing the history of Tiffany & Co. 

Van Cleef & Arpels

Born from a love story, Van Cleef & Arpels was founded in 1906 by Alfred Van Cleef and his wife, Estelle Arpels. The first boutique opened at number 22, Place Vendôme, opposite the famous Ritz hotel in Paris.

European businessmen and aristocrats of the time fell in love with the brand’s creations and helped to publicize the Maison to everyone. Jewelry modeled on flowers, leaves and birds, studded with gems and of great quality, made jewelry grow in France.

The founder of the brand, Alfred, was also responsible for developing a technique for setting precious stones without apparent claws, which is still used today in the largest jewelry stores in the world.

In the 1940s, the Maison opened stores around the world, including New York, where the Spirit of Beauty brooch was created. In that same period, the designer of the brand at the time created the iconic ballerina pins, due to his friendship with the co-founders of the School of American Ballet.

With the aim of having pieces to be used daily, in 1968, Van Cleef & Arpels most iconic design was created – the Alhambra. The design was inspired by a four-leaf clover and tiles from the Alhambra Palace in Granada. The collection still exists today and its jewelry contains stones such as diamond, mother-of-pearl and onyx.

Today the jewelry store is part of the Richemont Group and remains iconic and timeless, with its fine and elaborate jewelry, always valuing its tradition and name.

Bvlgari

Founded in 1884 by the Greek Sotirio Voulgaris, in Villa Sistina, Rome, Bvlgari began with the aim of selling only small jewelry, belts and bracelets. Several stores were opened in Italy and, in 1894, Sotirio changed his surname to Bulgari.

Bulgari had the help of his two sons to grow his brand. They developed a keen interest in the jewelry and gemstone market, and that’s when the brand became one of the leading brands in the luxury business, with a pair of earrings designed by Constantino Bulgari.

In the 50s, Bvlgari launched exclusive and unique products, with a distinctive style for the time. The brand revolutionized Italian design with its unique creations and combinations with emeralds, rubies and sapphires.

In 1977, the first line of watches by the jewelry store was launched, with models such as the iconic snake watch. Three years later, Bvlgari Time was created, to manage just the watches, for all the success it had been.

The brand is recognized for its jewelry with bold and unique colors and designs, dressing royal families and celebrities and is one of the great brands in the luxury market to this day.

Bvlgari has been part of the LVMH Group since 2011, but maintains its unique and authentic design, always valuing the history and tradition of the brand.

Cartier

The largest and most traditional jewelry store in the world was founded in 1847 by Louis-François Cartier, who started his business in one of the most luxurious streets in Paris at the time, Rue Montorgueil, and decided to patent his own brand, Cartier.

The jewelry store’s personalized service left the brand exclusive and private, with only high-society clients. A loyal Cartier customer at the time was Eugénia de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III.

The brand has always supplied jewelry to royalty. In 1902, the King of England, Edward VII, ordered 27 tiaras for his coronation and honored the brand as a Court Supplier, which made Cartier the most prestigious brand in the world.

The jewelry store revolutionized by creating the wristwatch and by having a collection of them just for the female audience. The famous Santos Dummont aviator’s watch was also developed by the brand and is a classic to this day

Cartier’s engagement rings are very famous and desired, especially the Trinity ring, launched in 1924. There are three intertwined alliances in three shades of gold: white, yellow and pink. Elegant and timeless, it is one of the brand’s most classic and famous pieces.

Until today, Cartier’s main philosophy is “to innovate without losing class, to transform with good taste and to be at the forefront of creation with audacity and excellence” and it is the world’s leading jeweler for its tradition, quality and elegance.

Piaget

Founded in the Swiss Alps in 1874, Piaget began on Georges Edouard Piaget‘s family farm as a watch workshop. In 1911, his son, Timothée, took over the brand and started the absolute success that led the jeweler to be one of the biggest watches in the world.

Until the 1940s, the atelier was dedicated only to the production of the most famous watch brands at the time. In 1943, Piaget was officially registered and began to produce and sell watches under its own name.

One of the brand’s signatures is the ultra-thin, created and developed by Valentino Piaget and to this day the brand produces the finest watches in the world.

The brand also produces jewelry and watches with precious stones. The PIAGET studio is a member of the Council for Responsible Jewelry Practices and the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme, which guarantees control over the origin of the diamonds used.

Piaget is currently part of the Richemont Group and continues to create sophisticated and traditional watches and jewelry, following the founder’s thought: “Always do better than necessary”. It’s the perfect combination of Swiss fine watchmaking and jewelry, always prioritizing technique, quality and daring designs.

————————————————-

The article above was edited by Mariana do Patrocínio. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Gabriela Romar

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student obsessed with fashion and beauty & art lover