The Lollapalooza Guide: What You Should Know To Enjoy The Festival At It’s Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When we’re talking about music festivals in Brazil, Lollapalooza is one of the biggest held in the country. The event had its first edition in 2012 at the Interlagos racetrack in the city of São Paulo, with over 70 thousand people, three days of many shows and incredible performances. But, before we talk about this great event, let’s go back in time to time to explain how it all started.

Lollapalooza takes place in several parts of the world, including Chile, Brazil and Argentina. Created by Perry Farrel, Jane’s Addiction’s vocalist, it originated in the United States in 1991 with the purpose of being the band’s farewell tour. The shows featured several groups and ran annually until 1997. However, it was so successful that the event returned in 2003, with the goal of being an itinerant festival that brought together several musical genres.

Today, Lollapalooza is an alternative music festival that takes place annually, made up of genres like alternative rock, heavy metal, punk rock, pop, folk, indie, and attractions such as a Ferris wheel and several little shops to buy souvenirs of this memorable experience.

Two years after being postponed due to the covid-19 pandemic, Lollapalooza is back in 2022. The event will take place from the 25th to the 27th of March with headliners such as The Strokes, Doja Cat, Miley Cyrus, A$AP Rocky, Foo Fighters, Martin Garrix and many others.

But the million-dollar question is: what do you need to know to enjoy the festival at its fullest? Check out some tips to make your Lollapalooza 2022 days the best they can be:

1-Choose comfortable clothes

All of us want the picture-perfect outfit to fit the vibes of the festival, but choosing comfortable clothes is really important. Lollapalooza also entails hours upon hours of standing, jumping and, most days, heat. A good tip is to pick your clothes a few days in advance and trying them on before to check if they’re a good fit to accompany you all throughout the day.

Hot tip: Wearing hats is a stylish move, of course, but not while you’re at a show, since it gets in the way of the view of whoever’s behind you!

2-Pack only the essentials

Nobody deserves to carry a load of weight all day long. Besides, it’ll get in the way while you try to dance and enjoy the concerts. Sunscreen and sunglasses are essential to have a good time and don’t take up a lot of space.

A light coat also helps in case it gets cold, and it’s easy to bring along, just like a raincoat — another indispensable item, since umbrellas can’t be brought in the festival. A portable charger is also an option for those who don’t want to run out of battery during the day. And to all those who want to rest in between shows, a beach wrap is necessary: just stretch it out on the grass and relax without getting dirty or pinching yourself.

3-What to bring and what not to bring

Lollapalooza’s own website can help those who have never been to the festival and remind some who have, about what can or can’t be brought in.

What you can bring:

• Your Lolla Cashless bracelet (preferably put it on before you’re already there);
  • A document with a picture to identify yourself;
  • Sunglasses, a hat or cap, a beach wrap, handbags or backpacks — but, in case you forget, some of these items will be for sale;
  • Cereal bars, cut up fruits and sealed industrialized foods are good to avoid fainting or potential discomfort that can make you miss out on memories;
  • Raincap;
  • Sunscreen and lip balm;
  • Portable camera.

A useful tip is that water bottles aren’t allowed, only sealed plastic water cups, but those are also limited to three units.

4-Load your Lolla Cashless bracelet with money

Just like in past years, all purchases made on Lollapalooza grounds will happen through the Lolla Cashless bracelet: all you have to do is bring it close to a payment totem to buy something. This way, transactions are a lot easier and avoids accidents like losing credit cards or, in the worst of cases, theft. 

When you have your wristband, register it on the Lollapalooza Brasil website and charge it with your card. That will make you avoid lines and unnecessary worrying.

5-Curate a festival playlist

Knowing every artist that will play at the festival is no easy task. A cool tip is to put together a playlist weeks before made up of all the bands you most want to see at the event and put it on repeat! Take the opportunity to add songs by artists you’re not familiar with. Who knows, what if one of them becomes a personal favorite?

6-Go to bed early and wake up feeling good

Waking up refreshed and eager is essential to make the most of the weekend. It might sound like a silly tip, but enjoying every moment of the concerts is super important! Since you’ll be spending the whole day in constant movement, it’s crucial to get good sleep. Having a nice and nutritious breakfast is also great to boost a long journey.

If you have any doubts or questions, Lollapalooza Brasil’s Instagram page, website and other social media accounts are available for consultation and already offer posts on the daily show schedule, tips on national and international artists and products that will be for sale and might be worth a look. Now, all you have left to do is enjoy!

——————————

The article above was written by Bruna Roberti, edited by Isadora Noronha and translated by Marina Sakai. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero’s home page for more!

Bruna Roberti

Casper Libero '23

Estudante de jornalismo apaixonada pela área de entretenimento. Tenho como hobby ler livros, os meus preferidos são os de aventura. Também gosto de música, seja ela de qualquer tipo.