Tea Time: 6 Super Women From Marvel Comics That Are Worth Knowing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The San Diego Comic-Con happens traditionally in July every year and, although the event became famous due to the presence of various movie studios, it started out as a convention for graphic novels enthusiasts. That didn’t change, authors and artists still show off their works there and meet their fans. We’re still not over everything that happened on Comic-Con, and, in case you’re looking for some comics to read, we made a list of six female Marvel comic book characters that have amazing stories.

Spider-Woman (Gwen Stacy)

Gwen Stacy exists in the Marvel Comic Universe since the 60’s, she was Peter Parker’s girlfriend in the primary universe. But on Earth-65, she was the one who got bitten by the radioactive spider instead of Parker and became Spider-Woman. That’s the character we’re introduced to in the Spider-verse story arc. Aside from being a superhero, she’s also drummer for a band called the Mary Janes. She’s cooler than every single one of us.

With her newly acquired powers, she decides to fight crime in New York, but  J. Jonah Jameson, editor in chief of the Daily Bugle, publicly asks for her arrest and even Gwen’s own father, a NYPD police chief, starts hunting her down. Her powers include being able to climb walls, the “spider sense” and super strength. She also has great analytical abilities making her a good detective. 

Where to start: Spider-Gwen – Vol. 0: Most Wanted?

She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)

Jennifer Walters got her powers when Bruce Banner, her cousin, had to donate her his blood after she was seriously injured. He happened to be visiting when she was attacked and his blood infused with gamma radiation made her into She-Hulk. At first the transformation is triggered by anger, but she learns to control it and eventually decides to maintain this form permanently. Who wouldn’t want to be green and bad ass all the time?!

She’s also a practicing attorney and is always helping other heroes giving them legal assistance or advice. Jennifer’s intellect isn’t affected by her green form and she has super strength, speed, agility and stamina as She-Hulk. She’s considered the physically strongest woman in the Marvel Universe, since her strength can increase depending on her mood.

Where to start: She-Hulk – Vol. 1: Law and Disorder

Thor (Jane Foster)

Thor Odinson, in recent comic history, has lost his ability to wield his hammer, Mjolnir. Soon after, a mysterious woman manages to pick up the hammer and, as a result, gains Thor’s powers becoming the new Goddess of Thunder. Soon it is revealed (to us readers, because Odinson still has no clue) that this woman is Jane Foster, a doctor and one of Thor’s romantic interests.

Jane, however, has been diagnosed with cancer and wielding the hammer and transforming into Thor is actually preventing her from curing the disease. When transformed, her powers include super strength, speed and the ability to control lightning. And, unlike previous Thors, she has much more control over Mjolnir, being able to change its speed and trajectory after throwing it.

Where to start: Thor – Vol. 1: Goddess of Thunder

Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)

The twin mutants, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, were separated from their parents and forced to hide their growing powers during their childhood. Entering adulthood, they joined Magneto’s Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, as Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and after various incidents, they ended up as part of the Avengers, hoping to reverse their reputations as villains.

Wanda has many powers that were improved over the years, and is considered to be one of the most important Avengers of all time. She’s able to manipulate Chaos Magic and alter reality, which is an extremely powerful ability that could bring total destruction to the cosmos. The Scarlet Witch is able to resist psychic attacks and has telekinetic powers, that enable her to levitate objects and fly. She also has used her powers to resurrect the dead and to take away the power of most humans with a verbal command.

Where to start: Scarlet Witch – Vol. 1: Witches’ Road

Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)

Before joining S.H.I.E.L.D and the Avengers, Natasha Romanoff entered the Black Widow Program, where she was conditioned to become a sleeper agent – later becoming a highly trained super spy and one of the greatest covert assassins in the world. 

During the program, she was enhanced with the “Soviets’ version of the Super-Soldier serum”, gaining her powers: resistance to disease, slowed-down aging and superhuman durability (peak human strength and stamina), which only improved her already incredible abilities in martial arts and gymnastic. 

After a long period of grief, she was driven even further into the clutches and control of the Red Room Academy and finally earned the title of Black Widow. And even though she initially worked against the Avengers, and the United States, following orders from her superiors, she later joined them, and S.H.I.E.L.D, to eventually become a superhero. 

Where to start: Black Widow – Vol. 1: The Finely Woven Thread

Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)

Janet van Dyne met Dr. Henry “Hank” Pym through her father, and after elder van Dyne was killed by an alien, Pym was so impressed by Janet’s passion to avenge her dad that he made her a suit and weapons so she could join him on the mission of defeating the creature. Following this event, Ant-Man and the Wasp became partners in his Super Hero career. Not long after, they joined Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk in a new mission, and created a new fighting team, the Avengers.

The suit created by Hank, and later upgraded, granted Janet the ability to shrink to a microscopic size or expand into the size of a building by force of will. When small, she grows a pair of wings that allow her to fly, and can generate a bio-electric shock from her body, that is manifested by a debilitating “sting”, which can make a normal person unconscious and even penetrate some types of armor.

Where to start: Ant-Man And The Wasp Adventures

Laura Okida

Casper Libero '21

Journalist. Music, series, books, pop culture, in no particular order.
Madalena Derzi

Casper Libero '21

100% believes aliens exist
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.