Style > Beauty

Tale As Old as Time, Song as Old as Rhyme: Beauty and the Beast Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you grew up watching Beauty and The Beast, here’s what you have to do right away: finish reading this review and go to the nearest cinema you can find to watch the new one. Seriously.

By Walt Disney Studios

The live action Beauty and The Beast, by the director Bill Condon, has everything it needs to warm your heart and make you feel nostalgic.

Right in the beginning, you can already see that the movie will be just as good as the original one. The songs, the scenario, the costumes and everything else is really, really similar to what you were used to see.

The only thing that’s different is that the movie has 45 minutes more than the past one, so there are some new scenes. The story doesn’t change, obviously, but it’s nice to watch and get to know more about this magical world.

About the cast: they were all amazing. Emma Watson was, for sure, the best actress that they could have ever chosen to play the role. The “main scene”, when she dances with the Beast… Oh, you have to see it right now to understand how cute she was.

Now, of course Dan Stevens, “The Beast”, was great, but in my opinion, Luke Evans (Gaston) and Josh Gad (Lefou) did such a nice pair and basically stole the show! If the first one was mainly visual effects, the others had to work harder on their facial expressions and posture, and I can assure you, they did it really well!

About the special effects, some of them were great, like the wolves and the castle, but some of them could have been better. The sky was clearly a green screen and that made me feel a little bit uncomfortable. Also, some of the object’s faces, like Mrs. Potts, weren’t very clear – I didn’t know who was playing her until the end of the movie, and that made it look more like a cartoon than a live action movie.

On the other hand, the 3D is amazing. I lost count of how many times I tried to dodge an object because of it.

To summarize, even though there are some flaws, the movie is great. It doesn’t matter if you are going to watch a remake of the old one, or if you are expecting something new. You will have both. The cast, the costumes and the songs will make you feel like a child again and you’ll leave the cinema with a huge smile on your face.

By Walt Disney Studios

My name is Giulia, I'm 18 and I live in São Paulo, Brazil. When I have a free time, I like to write, read and watch series.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.