This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.
Back to Egypt and Greece before Christ, humans already knew we needed to protect our skin from sun exposure. At Greece, a mixture of olive oil and sand protected the athletes competing on the Olympic Games, but way before that, Egyptians were already using magnolia, castor beans, almond oil and jasmine in order to keep their skin healthy.

Sun’s ultraviolet radiation is responsible for the most common type of cancer in Brazil: (skin cancer), and sunscreens are best way to prevent ourselves from the disease. Specialists recommend the daily use of lotions with minimum 30  SPF – sun protection factor –, applied on most exposed skin areas, like face and arms, 15 minutes before sun exposure, reapplied each two hours. Reminding the period between 9 AM and 3 PM should be avoided when it comes to massive sun exposure. 

However, dermatologists are the ones able to solve all your doubts, as long as the only ones skilled to evaluate which is the best SPF for your skin, your sun exposure habits and any special recommendations. Always schedule an appointment and follow their advices.

Besides that, we can protect our skin from photoaging. Maybe you didn’t know, but while chronological skin aging is the natural process of “becoming older”, 100% biological is a beautiful way to remind ourselves how much of life we’ve already experienced, the photoaging effect is mainly caused by sun’s ultraviolet radiation. 

Affecting our second skin layer, UVA radiation compromises the collagen fibers, the most important component in order to keep the skin’s soft appearance. As a result, sharpened stains and wrinkles tend to appear on it – mostly face and hands, with tick and rough texture. Way to prevent your skin from unnecessary changes? Sunscreen before primer and foundation every morning is the most effective one.

Since we started talking about makeup, there’s no way to forget primers, foundations and powders with SPF, right? Nowadays, the offer for skin makeup combined with sun protection has filled every drugstore’s shelves, but sadly, most of them present a 15 SPF, which does not protect our skin the way it should.

Even though they might not be the best options, powders, for example, can become great allies when it comes to reapplying sun protection during the day. As long as the product has over 30 SPF – or the one recommended by your dermatologist – that’s OK to help keeping your skin protected as the day goes by.  

The advice is clear: wear sunscreen before applying makeup and if you don’t feel like removing your foundation during the day, that just-bought setting powder is a good idea.

Here’s a quick Q&A to solve basic questions you might have.

1. Is there any difference between sunscreen and sunblock?
Yes. While sunblocks work as a physical barrier – with chemical components to stop the UV radiation before it arrives on your skin, sunscreens are the chemical ones. They penetrate on your skin and absorb all UV rays before it causes any damage to your cells.

2. How do I figure it out which is the best SPF for my skin?
The minimum recommended is the 30 SPF, but only a dermatologist can determine for sure your skin’s needs when it comes to sun protection.

3. Only fair skins needs to wear sunscreen?
Not at all! Every kind of skin need to be protected from UV radiation, however, the fairest the skin, higher the attention to it.

4. Are they all waterproof?
Not necessarily. You have to pay attention to its labels and always be careful when it comes to reapplying after sea and pool baths.

Here’s a list with some sunscreen (and link to shop online):

1. Sunmax Intense SPF 60 | Normal to dry skin – R$79,90 at netfarma.com.br
2. Clarins UV Plus Anti-Pollution SPF 50 – R$219 at sephora.com.br
3. Neutrogena Sun Fresh SPF 60 – R$49,90 at onofre.com.br
4. Benefit Drem Screen SPF 45 | Oil-free – R$160 at sephora.com.br
5. Clinique CC Cream Moisture Surge SPF 30 – R$179 at sephora.com.br 
6. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Airlicium SPF 70 | Oil Control – R$ 76,90 at loja.laroche-posay.com.br

Don’t forget your eyes and lips are also damaged by sun radiation, so check it out the SPF on your lip balm and never forget the sunglass at home.

P.S: that amazing floppy hat forgotten in the back of your closet can be an ally, too.
Camille Carboni

Casper Libero '19

Senior at Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism and Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus. Proudly a cat person, tea and french desserts addicted and specially in love with cinnamon. Deeply crazy about maps and everything travel related, so if you wanna catch my attention, you should know airports will always be my favorite places on earth.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.