Starting 2016 with the Right Foot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Superstitions we take at New Year’s Eve to have an amazing year!

The New Year is coming and we start thinking of what we can do to make it unforgettable. Some superstitions are followed by generations here in Brazil and possibly in other parts of the world. The most important thing for them to come true is just to believe in their effect and magic.

It is the time people search their wardrobes for white clothes, signifying their wishes for a peaceful year. Places get crowded with white-dressed people. The color is chosen to symbolize peace and attract good vibrations. With 2015, being a year full of cruel tragedies based on intolerance and disrespect, peace is something that we not only want, but is a necessity.

For the New Year’s Eve Dinner, the lentil is a wonderful dish. If it’s well prepared it’s really good. The most important aspect is that the superstitious say that by eating them we will have wealth in the year that arrives.

Pomegranate and grapes are symbols of money! They bring more money in the next year. In the moment of crisis, such as economists predict for the Brazilian scenario, it will be a great bet to hope for a stabilized financial life.

You have to eat 12 grapes and put on your wallet 12 grape pits, one of each grape. The number 12 is the number of the months we have in a year. In addition, you eat 7 pomegranate seed and put on your wallet the kernels of them. In this case, the number 7 is the number of the days of the week.

For the ones who are going to celebrate the New Year on the beach, jump seven waves and after each jump make a wish you what you want for 2016. That is for finding strength to overcome obstacles.

To start the year with the right foot literally, stay on top of a chair or a stair and when its midnight, jump to the floor setting the right foot first.

It’s very important to recapture everything you did on this year and see what you have to improve. In 2016, every day think of your actions and the effect they have. Always try to do your best and as a result, the year will be incredible.

Happy New Year! Happy 2016!

Hi! I am a journalism student. I am in love with the English and French language, that's the reason I am doing courses to improve them.I love to be in contact with different people and talk about any subject.One of my biggest passion is to travel around the world, visit places that reflects the history of other civilizations. I am always searching for new projects, learrning is something that make us increase our horizon.The journalism is a good opportunity to hear inspiring stories!
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.