This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

As we all know, Netflix is obsessed with romantic cliches when it comes to their original productions – but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  If you hate romantic comedies, you’ll absolutely hate this kind of movie, but if you love this kind of predictable story just as much as I do, I’m pretty sure you’ll find their original production “Squared Love” a very adorable movie!

At the movie, Monika is living a double life to help her father pay some debts, but he has no idea of how she is making all that money. The devoted daughter works as a teacher at a local school, and is always trying to improve her class’ performance with her own alternative methods – which is something her boss hates! Outside the classroom, Monika goes by the name “Klaudia” and works as a model for a few campaigns, but nobody knows about that, except for a couple friends.

On the other side of the story, we get to know Enzo, a celebrity journalist who also works in the front line of some campaigns for his company. His beloved niece is Monika’s student, so he ends up meeting her as a teacher, but due to a new campaign, he meets Klaudia as well. Will Enzo find out about the real identity of his new temporary co-worker? Will he fall for one of them? Will he fall for both of them? Well, to know that you’ll have to watch the movie!

A movie analysis 

Woman in White Bed Holding Remote Control While Eating Popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

But now, let’s talk about how Monika was able to live a double life without anyone noticing it. The Superman/Clark Kent situation became sort of a role model to a lot of movies and stories. In the original story, Clark Kent wouldn’t be recognized because of his glasses, right? The same thing goes for Disney Channel original series “Hannah Montana“, that shows how the ordinary teenager Miley Stewart managed to be the popstar Hannah Montana, and nobody would see the resemblance because of a blond wig. This dynamic became a thing and it’s very easy for us to find a movie or a show that uses this exact same pattern.

In “Squared Love“, though, they have done a way better job. Watching the trailer, it took me a few extra seconds to realize that Monika and Klaudia were the same person. They managed to change the character’s hairstyle and eye color, but most important: Klaudia exales the opposite vibe from Monika. The shy and clumsy teacher has absolutely nothing to deal with the confident and powerful model, and that is why nobody would recognize her – she changed her physical characteristics, but the abysmal change in Monika’s behaviour the minute she becomes Klaudia, is what really makes both personalities so far from each other.

For this movie, I would give four out of five stars. They could have developed some parts of the story in a more deep level, but, at the same time, it wasn’t supposed to be an intense movie. after all, the whole point of watching it was to have a nice romantic comedy to watch while eating some popcorn. This Polish movie will definitely get a special place in your heart if you like that kind of light storytelling. You’ll finish your movie session with a melted heart and a craving for ice cream (if you watch it, you’ll get me). I hope you enjoy “Squared Love” as much as I did!

————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Helena Leite.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Melissa Carraro

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero. Loves to write about everything - even the most random topics. Music, books, red lipstick and penguins are her favorite things in the world! Her life goal is to learn how to cook without (almost) burning the whole house to the ground.