Spooky Season: Best Halloween Movies To Watch With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Spooky season is here! It is Halloween, and that means it’s finally that time of the year when the parties are better than ever, the houses are decorated and everybody is excited about candy. But, one of the greatest things about spooky season is – and always will be – watching Halloween movies with friends!

Invite your friends over for a movie night, and you will only have to worry about the popcorn, treats and the Halloween decoration, because we selected the best movies to watch! Check it out:

The Shining

One of the Stanley Kubrick’s masterpieces is about a man, Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), which accepts a job as a caretaker at the Hotel Overlook. He moves in with his wife and son during winter time, when it’s empty and isolated. In the movie, Jack goes crazy and tries to murder his family.

Hereditary

This movie will make you feel sick, scared, horrified, and a lot of other things. After the grandmother dies, the Graham family – which consists of a father, mother and their kids, a 16-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl – is haunted by a demon. It was a success and the critical response was very good – watch it and you will understand why.

A Quiet Place

The 2018 movie was directed by John Krasinski (Jim from The Office, which we all know and miss), who also co-starred in it with his wife, Emily Blunt.

It is set in a post-apocalyptic Earth, where there are blind monsters that will attack and kill if they hear any sounds. While this is happening, a family tries to survive silently.

Psycho

This classic was directed by the famous Alfred Hitchcock and tells the history of Marion Crane, a secretary, and her tragic encounter with the crazy Norman Bates. Marion steals a large amount of money from her boss and runs away. While she is on the run, a storm arrives, and she finds the Bates Motel. She decides to spend the night there, where she meets Norman Bates, a very eccentric man who claims to live with his mother. After some horrible things happen, we discover that the things may not be what we thought they were.

It

The movie, based on the Stephen King’s novel, was premiered in 2017. It tells the story of a group of seven children from Maine, who call themselves “The Losers Club”. The town they live in, Derry, is shaken and frightened by the disappearing of kids. The Losers Club end up being face to face with their greatest fears when they meet the Pennywise clown, the one responsible for the crimes.

Get Out

A young African-American photographer (Daniel Kaluuya) is convinced by his white girlfriend (Allison Williams) to leave the city and visit her parents for a weekend. The family’s overly accommodating behavior is seen by the boy as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter’s interracial relationship. As the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries lead him to a truth that he could have never imagined.

You’re Next

Directed by Adam Wingard, You’re Next is one of those horror movies about home-invasion. But what makes it different is the fact that the gang of masked people who attacks the house of a wealthy family didn’t expect that one of the victims had a secret talent for fighting back.

Hush

Maddie (Kate Siegal) is a deaf and mute writer who, after losing her hearing as a teenager, retreated into the woods to live a solitary life. However, her isolation is silently interrupted when the masked face of psychotic killer appears in her window. Now, she must push herself beyond her mental and physical limits in order to survive the night.

Creep

A broke videographer (Patrick Brice) answers an online ad for a one-day filming job in a remote mountain town. He has to record the last messages of a dying man, Josef (Mark Duplass). When he notices the client’s odd behavior, he starts to question his intentions.

The Babadook

This Australian movie is the rather simple story of a widowed mother (Essie Davis) and an out-of-control 6-year-old child (Noah Wiseman). The boy believes the monster he has been dreaming aboutis coming to kill them both. When the woman reads “The Babadook” to his son, he is sure that the creature of the disturbing book is the one he’s been dreaming about. Soon the mother discovers a sinister presence all around her and starts to believe that the thing her child has been warning her about might be real.

Coraline

This dark fantasy children’s novella is about an adventurous 11-year-old girl (voiced by Dakota Fanning) who moved to Oregon with her parents. Looking for some excitement in her new environment, Coraline uncovers a secret door in the house and finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

BONUS: The Haunting of Hill House

If you have already seen the movies above and/or like to binge-watch TV series, we suggest to you The Haunting of Hill House, by Netflix. Flashing between past and present, this horror series tells the story offive siblings who lived their childhood in the mystic Hill House. As adults, they reunite because of the suicide of their youngest sister, which forces them to confront the haunting memories of their old home.

Although there’s no guarantee of a good night’s sleep after watching those films, the 12 options we listed for you will make your Halloween better. And when we say better, we mean scarier! Enjoy the spooky season!

Júlia Sassettoli

Casper Libero '22

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero college.
Lethicia Lioi

Casper Libero '22

Journalism student.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.