Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

So Glad We “Met”: Let’s Talk About The Theme And The Looks Of Met Gala 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.
STARTING WITH THE BASIC

There’s nothing a designer/atelier wants more than having important people using their looks on the Met Gala. This event happens on the first Monday of May inside the “Metropolitan Museum of New York” (having a new exhibition every year) and is a charity event (in which hand-picked guests have to donate a certain amount of money). When the event was founded in 1948, it was reserved for the very high society of New York, but Anna Wintour, who took over the party in 1995, adapted it to the era of social networks. Since we can’t see what happens on the inside of the party, for all the social media this day it’s all about how guests are able to express their interpretation on the theme chosen that year, using unique and grandiose outfits. 

With that being said, let’s start with this year’s theme. In 2021 the exposition was:  “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion“, so this year we have a continuation to this with: “In America: An Anthology of Fashion“. Because of this theme the dress code was “white tie” and all the glamor of ” The Gilded Age“. To be honest we were all expecting a lot of sparkles, feathers, gloves, extravagance, glamor, elegance and colors like black, white, gold, silver and even some pastel shades. We did have a lot of that, but we also saw some unexpected choices.

THE BEST ONES

Of course each one of us have our own opinion about the best and the worse looks, but in this article I’ll talk about my personal ones and I hope you can take something good from my arguments.

Let’s start with men. Usually men dress a little bit more similar in these events especially considering that they prefer to use suits (and it is quite hard to create something really different with a suit). Because of that I did a top 5 best outfits considering creativity and elegance:

5- Austin Butler (he used an all black suit with satin details and it was so elegant – Prada)

4- Ashton Sanders (that one stoled the carpet with an all denim suit with gold details – Casablanca)

3- Shawns Mendes (I know this is a polemic one, but come on! He was wearing an amazingly elegant overcoat and an all navy blue suit… also it was an upcycled look – Tommy Hilfiger)

2- Ryan Reynolds (with a simple but elegant white vest and a velvety suit – Ralph Lauren)

1- Evan Mock (he killed it wearing a light yellow suit that fits like a corset with beautiful sleeves and collar  – Head Of State)

That was so easy compared to choosing the top 5 women… That’s why I made a top 12 (sorry for that, it was impossible to choose 5 or 10) . First of all, I have to say that they were all really pretty and I could talk about every single look without even feeling tired. With that being said I considered not only the look but also how it fit into the theme. Let’s get it started:

12- Alicia Keys (that woman basically had New York buildings designed with glitter on the end of her cape and a glittery full dress. I didn’t find the model itself very within the theme, but it couldn’t be left out – Ralph Lauren)

11- Bella Hadid (even though it was kinda simple, i love all the sexy looks she brung with that leather corset and that lace pantyhose – Burberry)

10- Lizzo (that black and gold overcoat was so elegant even more with the black corset underneath – Thom Browne)

9- Jessica Chantain (the Oscar winner wore an all sparkling red and silver dress and a matching headpiece – Gucci)

8- Taylor Hill (the model wore a gorgeous blue dress with a tail filled with embroidered flowers and knee high boots – Miss Sohee)

7- Kacey Musgraves (a black dress filled with colorful gems and a fan of feathers, I just love it – Prada)

6- Anitta (our Brazilian queen was so within the theme with the big skirt, the corset and the pearls… just beautiful – Moschino)

5- Carol Trentini (another brazilian muse that wore an amazing dress, with beautiful sleeves and simple but so within the dress code colors- Danielle Frankel)

4- Laura Harrier (what a pretty dress with a corset top and a big skirt. I also love that the fabric looks a lot like the iron of an armor – Glemaud)

3- Jodie Turner-Smith (I really don’t know why people aren’t talking about her. There is so much sparkle and even the makeup makes sense with the theme. Simply gorgeous – Gucci)

2- Billie Eilish (she did it again. What a beautiful dress… it is almost identical to the inspiration and it couldn’t be more loyal to the period of time chosen. It is also eco friendly! – Gucci)

1- Blake Lively (I don’t even know what to say about that 2 in 1 look. The outfit was inspired by the Statue of Liberty and how it changed color with time. She also used a headpiece inspired by the Empire State… just brilliant – Versace)

POLEMIC AND RANDOM OPINIONS

Of course we all love to talk about the ones who did great, but what about the ones who didn’t? I’ll firstly point out Louis Vuitton. I don’t know about you, but I was expecting fabulous looks as they usually give us. Instead we saw random outfits that were from collections of 5/4 years ago and didn’t even make sense with the theme. I was really disappointed to see celebrities like Emma Stone, Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas, Hoyeon and others using such basic outfits. To be fair I did like how Emma Chamberlain mixed the old (on the top) and the modern (on the skirt), Chloe Grace Moretz with a sparkling suit that looked like an armor and Gemma Chane dress with a really different structure.   

The last but not least thing I want to talk about is Kim Kardashian‘s look. The dress she wore was worn by Marilyn Monroe when she sang “Happy Birthday” for the president John F. Kennedy in 1962. The first thing I don’t quite agree with about that is that Kim openly talked about how she lost 16 lbs in 3 weeks just to fit in the dress. I know it is an important dress and an important event, but imagine how many boys and girls have the thought that you should lose weight in an unhealthy way just to fit into clothes (when in fact the clothes that are supposed to fit you, not the opposite way). The second question that came out was: “Was right for her to use something so important for history of fashion?”. We still don’t know if she wore the original dress just for photos or just on the red carpet, but ider way a lot of people said that she shouldn’t have taken the risk of causing any damage to the dress. What do you think about it?

——————————-

The article above was edited by Lívia Carvalho.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Líbero home page for more!

Se eu pudesse mudar a vida das pessoas usando as palavras assim como eu mudei a minha… Ah, peraí, eu posso (ou posso pelo menos tentar). Em meio a vários características – feminista, meio patricinha de São Paulo, geminiana, apaixonada por moda, obcecada por poemas e algumas outras- prometo tirar o maior proveito de todas elas para tentar alcançar um mundo mais cheio de respeito e amor.