She Plays The Game: 4 Cásper’s Girls And Their Games’ Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Cásper’s Girls have many talents and interests. Some of them are obsessed with books, others simply are good in music and some of them just love games. It is very important to notice that girls share this space into the geek world. Rafaela Artero, sophomore in Journalism, talked with 4 of these Cásper’s gamer-girls. Check it out!

Name: ​Victória Moreira da Silva Lopes

Age: ​20

Major: ​Radio, TV and Internet

What games do you play?

I don’t have a favorite genre, I’m just not a fan of war games, race or soccer. My new favorites are all of Batman, Dishonored and Beyond Two Souls.

In which kind of platform do you play?

PlayStation 3.

Since when do you play?

Since very early in my life. I think the First time was with 3 or 4 years old, with a mega drive.

Do you think that the world of games is sexist?

A lot. I have always heard that women does not know how to play and that video games are a “thing for man”. It seems that every time I make a mistake in a game, it is because I am a woman.

Have you ever been through a sexist situation while you were playing?

Yes. Years ago happened a “championship” between the kids in my building. The game was Guitar Hero for PlayStation 2 and I have always been really good, but because I’m a woman I couldn’t ? Later I proved I was better.

Name: ​Fernanda Grillo

Age:​ 21

Major: ​Journalism

In which kind of platform do you play?

PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox (I have a Xbox and my boyfriend has a Playstation, so we switch) and when I feel nostalgic, I turn my Nintendo 64 on, but I know it will not work.

What games do you play?

That depends. On my computer, I like RPG games (as Tibia or League of Legends). On others consoles I like Sci­Fi (Mass Effect, Dead Space, Last of Us and Resident Evil), medieval games like Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls. Actually it is a little of everything.

Since when do you play?

Since I was little. I have grown up seeing my brother play, renting tapes in video rentals. When he won a Game Cube, he gave me his Nintendo 64 and then I started to play.

Very sexist. There is no space for women in the games that you have make teams. If I start talking about this with someone, it is soon interpreted that I want attention. They always treat me as if I do not know how to play, it is pretty annoying.

Many times, especially in Counter Strike and League of Legends. I started to make accounts to log in with male names. It is really boring, I can only play with my male friends and boyfriend.

Name:​ Gabriela Mota

Age:​ 22

Major:​ Public Relations

In which kind of platform do you play?

Playstation 3.

What games do you play?

Rockband, Mortal Kombat, Crash etc.

Since when do you play?

Since I was 10 years old.

Maybe in some aspects, but not necessarily. There are many women playing and working in this area nowadays, something that did not happened years ago.

No.

Name: ​Mariana de Souza Dantas

Age:​ 18

Major:​ Publicity and Propaganda

In which kind of platform do you play?

Xbox 360, PSP, notebook and mobile.

What games do you play?

I like to play RPG games, like Skyrim. However, I also play Diablo lll, Rayman Legends, Borderlands 2 and Forza Horizon!

Since when do you play?

Since I was 5 years old, when I met Master System.

Unfortunately, yes. One prove of this are the e­games championships. In some countries, like Finland, women can’t play in the same championship that men participate because they believe women can “influence” men while playing. It is a shame to see that in 2016.

Yes. To have a female nickname in online games it is an invitation to men wanting to have a more “intimate” contact. On the other hand, they say you’re a not a good player because you are a woman and “you can never play as good as men”.

Idealization, interviews and text: Rafaela Artero (sophomore in Journalism)

Edition: Bárbara Muniz

Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.