Review: “Self Made: Inspired By The Life Of Madam C. J. Walker”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker” represents how much people of color are still struggling to be and feel free even after the Emancipation Act (1863), and shows the hardships faced in the early 20th century by social values of that time.

The mini series made by Netflix has 4 episodes with the average of 47 minutes each. It’s a series that inspires the audience, bringing up feminism and showing how a black woman grew at entrepreneurship area.

Watch the trailer!

Starring Octavia Spencer, it tells the story of Sarah Breedlove – a woman who took it upon herself to care of the variety of beauty portrayed by black women and their hair. She worked as a clothes washer and, due to that, almost went bald because she never had time to take care of herself. But thanks to a revolutionary product, her self-esteem begins to increase. And, while the owner of Addie’s product doesn’t bet on Sarah, she builds her own brand that would revolutionize the cultural history of black women.

The show’s soundtrack is full of female empowerment anthems from women who are also on the rise and it’s mostly comprised of Black female artists. It’s available on Spotify and it’s, definitely, a must listen!

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Laura Okida.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giullia Cartaxo

Casper Libero '23

A sociable, kind, friendly, little broadcaster with a love for series, movies and the internet.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.