This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Emily in Paris was the series that opened October for Netflix, having premiered on the second day of the month, and is already conquering fans all around the world. From the same creator of Sex and The City, Darren Star, and starring Lily Collins as Emily Cooper, the show tells the story of a publicist that leaves a perfectly comfortable life in Chicago to live in Paris, leaving her job, family, friends and boyfriend behind. She brings the ‘American view’ to a French marketing firm, instantly bringing it to Paris aswell.

Oh, beware of a few spoilers…

People who love romantic comedies will love this series. You’ll watch it very quickly and as soon as you realise it’s over, you’ll be wanting more. It’s almost like a comfort series that you can go to when you don’t have anything else to watch and need a distraction. So don’t expect deep philosophies out of this one.

In general, it’s very good and fun to watch the way Emily interacts with the city. She’s a twenty-something woman that already has experiences in the marketing world and is very mature, so it should not be considered a ‘teenager series’, since most teens might not understand the situations she’s settled in throughout the episodes. And it’s very interesting to watch her leave her comfortable life in the US to live somewhere she doesn’t speak the language, or know much about.

So you’ll have a lot of fun watching it since there are very funny moments that will most certainly get some good laughs out of you. It all starts with the way Emily interacts with the city and goes to her interactions with coworkers, friends, neighbours and even love interests. She shows a very human side when she has problems with relationships and work that people can actually relate to.

But not everything is always wonderful. The series has its flaws and bad things to talk about. As I said before, don’t expect deep philosophies out of it because it’s a humorous show. So the exaggerated French stereotypes are meant to make you laugh, even though a lot of people criticized this choice and some were even offended by it.

Also, there’s a scene in which they make fun of Emily when she mistakenly had sex with an underage boy, insinuating that pedophilia is something funny and not serious enough. So that was a bit problematic and a lot of people pointed that out on social media. And well, that part could’ve easily been cut from the episode; it wouldn’t add anything important to the episode, or the series at all.

Lily Collins was the perfect choice for this role. She doesn’t look too old but doesn’t look too young either. She flawlessly fits the part of a grown woman, and she’s so charismatic that you will love her, even though she messes up sometimes. There’s no other actress that could fit this role.

And it was a good thing that they did not choose American actors for the cast, but instead chose French actors to fill the French roles. It’s so good to hear their accents and know it’s not forced, and it actually fits the contexts. It was a positive thing between so many stereotypes.

But if you’re looking for a good time, and tired of romantic comedies that only involve teenage dramas, this show should be perfect for you! So lie down on your bed, get something nice to eat and binge-watch this new Netflix success! I’m sure you’re gonna have fun.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Laura Okida.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Rafaela Bertolini

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student with a dubious taste in series, books, movies and music. Oh, and please send me a picture of your cat!